[OPi PC] CPU detected correctly in 4.6 kernel

kometchtech

Verify kernel 4.6 with dev on test construction Armbian where the CPU is not recognized correctly.
root@orangepipc:~# lscpu
Architecture:          armv7l
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0
Off-line CPU(s) list:  1-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    1
Socket(s):             1
Model name:            ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
[    0.001455] CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
[    0.001769] /cpus/cpu@0 missing clock-frequency property
[    0.001784] /cpus/cpu@1 missing clock-frequency property
[    0.001794] /cpus/cpu@2 missing clock-frequency property
[    0.001805] /cpus/cpu@3 missing clock-frequency property
[    0.001815] CPU0: thread -1, cpu 0, socket 0, mpidr 80000000
[    0.001867] Setting up static identity map for 0x40100000 - 0x40100058
[    0.003909] Brought up 1 CPUs
[    0.003924] SMP: Total of 1 processors activated (48.00 BogoMIPS).
[    0.003931] CPU: All CPU(s) started in SVC mode.
This is what Armbian modification which managed to do?
Or it should be reported somewhere?

My best regards.

Or it should be reported somewhere?

Nope, obviously you missed some patches since SMP with mainline kernel works since ages. The whole thing is WiP, a few weeks ago we had working Armbian dev images with kernel 4.6-rc1 and working SMP/USB/Ethernet, then it broke again and currently we have at least one report that it should work by rebasing patches: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/617-wip-orange-pi-one-support-for-the-upcoming-orange-pi-one/?p=9256(Balldir's report).

Anyway: Ethernet driver is still also WiP and I think it would be the best to also include megi's THS patches here (I failed to apply them or at least my Orange Pi didn't boot any more afterwards when I tried it in early April).

At least in Balldir's dmesg output I see that SMP does not work there either. So do I understand that correctly: SMP does not work out-of-the box for latest sun8i-dev (OPi PC)?

Because I happen to have the same issues here: Only CPU 0 online, 1-3 are offline. Apart from that (and from the missing Vbus on the OTG port), 4.6 seems to be "good enough" for a (at least my) headless server.

Folks, please keep in mind that mainline work for H3 is still WiP. So in case you're experienced enough simply grab kernel sources that are known to work eg wens' most recent branch: https://github.com/wens/linux/tree/bpi-m2p-emac  (or replace the branch we currently use in Armbian's build system with this)

Armbian team knows that currently sun8i dev branch is broken. And doesn't care about since without applied THS stuff especially boards like BPi M2+ that show horrible thermal behaviour might get damaged when running mainline kernel without working throttling. That being said: I just used the latest mainline kernel equipped H3 Armbian image and booted BPi M2+ with it:

____                                  ____  _   __  __ ____  

| __ )  __ _ _ __   __ _ _ __   __ _  |  _ \(_) |  \/  |___ \ 

|  _ \ / _` | '_ \ / _` | '_ \ / _` | | |_) | | | |\/| | __) |

| |_) | (_| | | | | (_| | | | | (_| | |  __/| | | |  | |/ __/ 

|____/ \__,_|_| |_|\__,_|_| |_|\__,_| |_|   |_| |_|  |_|_____|

Welcome to ARMBIAN Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 4.6.0-rc1-sunxi 

System load:   0.83            Up time:       4 min

Memory usage:  6 % of 1002Mb IP:            192.168.83.192

Usage of /:    16% of 7.3G   

[ 45 updates to install: apt-get upgrade ]

tk@bananapim2:~$ sudo armbianmonitor -u

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System

Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for tk: 

/var/log/armhwinfo.log has been uploaded to http://sprunge.us/HWFI

Please post the URL in the Armbian forum where you've been asked for.

tk@bananapim2:~$ grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo 

tk@bananapim2:~$ uname -a

Linux bananapim2 4.6.0-rc1-sunxi #9 SMP Sat Apr 9 15:18:37 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

Here you find 'armbianmonitor -u' output: http://sprunge.us/HWFI (and if you're able to stick together a working .dts for your Orange Pi you can use this image after exchanging the contents of /boot/dtb/sun8i-h3-bananapi-m2plus.dtb with your compiled .dts)

I hope that is proof enough that anybody who wants to dig deeper into can enjoy SMP on H3 boards right now. But without special precautions this isn't recommended especially on the smaller boards like OPi One/Lite, NanoPi M1 and the horrible BPi M2+

On OPi Plus 2E it's not a problem at all since this PCB shows excellent heat dissipation so that H3 won't overheat here even if throttling isn't working (if you want throttling think about applying these patches to your sources: https://github.com/megous/linux/tree/orange-pi-- but I asked megi yesterday about status and he said he will rebase the stuff on 4.7-rc1 soon and then sent patches to get this stuff upstream).

Thomas, thanks for the detailed information. Don't get me wrong, I am very impressed by the great progress we see for H3 mainline support. Not long ago it seemed like OPi PC would never get a mainline kernel, so I am really amazed how well it already works by now!

I just wanted to understand the supposed status, because you said that SMP worked since ages, but then again, we only saw only one CPU up. Just wanted to make sure that it's a known issue.

Thanks again for your great support and effort!

MarkH,

actually, you need latest mainline U-Boot. Kernel per se doesn't do anything to bring up other cores. This is done in U-Boot trough PSCI. It is done automatically and you don't have to do anything to enable it.