IanH

Kernel 5.5.0-rc2 freezes on Orange PI Plus 2

(edited)
Armbianmonitor:

Since update to 5.5.0 kernel (-rc2) my Orange PI often freezed after  uptime of several hours up to 3 days (usually less than 24 hours).

Since downgrade to 5.4.10 it seems to be stable again (1 day for now, so I still keep my fingers crossed). (Before upgrade to 5.5. it was up for several weeks - and I don't remember any unplanned reboot).

Unfortunately I have no logs (it logs to ram), but in one case if was connected via ssh and had "htop" running - it showed nothing special at freeze time (CPU temperature around 50°C, no high load (around 0,5 load avg, only one CPU cure with a CPU % > 50%  (still < 80%)).

When I noticed the frozen system, I noticed that CPU cooler was quite hot (around 70°C, so hotter than in usual operation).

The freeze was NOT complete - the network routing (Wifi access point and bridge with wlan and eth was still working fine - but most user space programms seemed to stop working. ssh login was not possible - and also the "heatbeat" led stopped working.

Besides the Wifi access point it runs an openhab and mosquitto and also an NextCloud on nginx. A cron job performs daily backups to an external hdd.

Edited by IanH

7 hours ago, IanH said:

Since update to 5.5.0 kernel (-rc2) my Orange PI often freezed after  uptime of several hours up to 3 days (usually less than 24 hours).

Since downgrade to 5.4.10 it seems to be stable again

This kernel is not supported and its expected to fail. Thank you for testing and logs. If you are not a developer, stay on 5.4.y There we are focusing efforts to keep it stable with resources that are available. 5.5 is a playground.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

This kernel is not supported and its expected to fail. Thank you for testing and logs. If you are not a developer, stay on 5.4.y There we are focusing efforts to keep it stable with resources that are available. 5.5 is a playground.

Ok, thanks for your reply.

It seems that there is another bug then: The 5.5 kernel was installed by "apt upgrade" - and I don't remember that I set anything special to get rc kernels.

I will check my configuration and post info about it here - however, this may take up to tomorrow evening (CET).

1 hour ago, IanH said:

The 5.5 kernel was installed by "apt upgrade"

We have LEGACY, CURRENT and DEV tags.

Legacy will upgrade on 4.19., current on 5.4.y and DEV on whatever is attached there. 5.5.y at this moment. You had to switched to DEV once and then it goes on that path. Going back to CURRENT kernel with 5.4.y is what you need to do. Then apt upgrade will not switch to 5.5.y (or we have a bug)

13 hours ago, IanH said:

I got some Sunxi/Sunxi64 board running 5.5.0-rc2 running for some days (one or two weeks) and couldnt find any freezes.
Today dev is going on my systems to 5.5.0-rc6 - I will see if there will be any freezes.

Running Boards are OPi Zero, OPi One, BPI M2 Berry, NanoPi A64, NanoPi Neo2

3 hours ago, guidol said:

... got some Sunxi/Sunxi64 board running 5.5.0-rc2 running for some days (one or two weeks) and couldnt find any freezes.

For what it's worth, I've been running 5.5.0-rc2 on a number of NanoPi boards (NEO 2s and NEO 2 Blacks) for several weeks now, including one running mosquitto+Influx+Grafana+nginx+a lot of Python processes, and they've all worked flawlessly.