"Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-version.c: 224: _dl_check_map_versions: Assertion `needed != NULL' failed!'

jcheriton

Orange Pi PC+ 

I have been using an image generated in 2019 (based on Debian 9) to develop code for a project. On the development machine it works well. I moved it to a machine running a custom Armbian build (simply having removed drivers that weren't necessary - sound etc. - and requiring that u-boot not search USB devices before starting the kernel) that was based on the same version (reported as Debian 9). It worked as expected. No probalme there then.

Yesterday I rebuilt the Armbian image (now based on Debian 9.12),  loaded it on to the client machine and went to run the software. I now get the error;

"Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-version.c: 224: _dl_check_map_versions: Assertion `needed != NULL' failed!'

If I backtrack and use an old build image (bear in mind that these were built in exactly the same way so only the base OS is different) the software works.

So, what is causing this error? Something changes in the Debian base, or something added recently?

Anyone know of a solution to this?

I have seen several solutions that suggest referencing pthread.h (it's already in use in the program), putting the library -lpthread in the make file (already there) and using at least one function (as I said,  it's already in use) so obviously that solution is a non-starter for me.

2 hours ago, jcheriton said:

Something changes in the Debian base, or something added recently?

(Debian/Ubuntu) Armbian application base is changing all the time. If you want fixed root fs, you need to move to much more expensive solution in term of maintenance like Yocto or Buildroot. Armbian only/mainly takes care for the hardware interface, while in case troubles are in user land application & script, you need to find its authors / maintainer. Or try to solve it somehow.

I would try Debian 10.x, debug your application and Google: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=494 https://github.com/jcmgray/quimb/issues/19 https://github.com/readthedocs/readthedocs.org/issues/4686

Thanks for the reply Igor.

I realise that Armbian is just a wrapper for the hardware. I was just hoping that someone somewhere had come across this and had solved it.

Debian 10x "Buster" does the same.

I'll try changing my development environment to match the client one. I'm just putting it off because it's not a quick or easy job.

I'll post if I find a solution.

Just for information for anyone that has this problem...

I never did find out what dependency was causing this issue but I did fid a solution. In the end I copied the source files to the virtual environment while making the OrangePi PC Plus Buster system image along with the various installations, libraries etc. and made it in situ before finalising the image. I didn't actually think this was possible but it's working.

After the make simply cleaning out the source files and directories and removing the gcc build essentials (not strictly necessary) leaves an up-to-date image with working applications.