Making Initramfs for customized kernel

delius

Hello, Armbian devs,

I have customized a kernel for an existing Armbian system. I wish I can replace the kernel on the system directly without going throught Armbian build system.

According to what Martinayotte told me, there are 3 symbolic link to kernel image, dtbs, and uInitrd actually to boot.

While I have done first 2, and I know that I have to do "mkimage" to generate a u-boot compatible uinitrd for sure.

But... How can I produce the original initramfs, first?

I trace the log of Armbian build system and found out it's generated by update-iniramfs command.

But the environment is wiped out after it's done. I'm not sure how to reproduce the initramfs for my customized kernel.

May anyone tell me what is the proper way to generate initrdfs for a customized kernel for PineH64-b board?

Thank you.

(edit: specify model)

Usually there are no manual steps necessary.

You have your three packages which are the linux image, the dtb and u-boot. You install all of them using dpkg -i and reboot. That's it.

Hi, Werner

Thank you for replying first. But I'm afraid that your suggestion won't work for me.

Because I didn't use the kernel built in Armbian build system.

Or may you tell me how to make Armbian build the alternative patched kernel tree for me?

I look into configs/ and found the content like 'KERNEL_TARGET="current,dev"'

May I modify it like pointing a alternative directory instead? 

Thank you.

You wont receive much support when using the build script not the way it is designed to work. Then you are on your own.

Since this thing will either output the mentioned packages OR a complete flashable image I do not see a reason to cut it into pieces for a specific thing.