[Odroid C2] No mouse or keyboard in X

Guest swamper

Guest swamper
Hi folks,

I flashed the Armbian Jessie server image to sd. Then I ran update and upgrade after the system booted. I installed xorg and MATE desktop. No problems anywhere.

I did not install a display manager as I want to login from tty. I basically performed the exact same install I have done for 15 years(since Gnome2). And a problem I haven't seen in 10 years or more rears it's ugly head as I type in "startx". MATE desktop boots up and I have no mouse or keyboard...

I hit ctrl-alt-del and I have keyboard in the shutdown prompt.

lsmod

meson_ir                2943  0 

joydev                 10384  0 

spidev                  5785  0 

spi_gpio                5970  0 

spi_bitbang             3653  1 spi_gpio

w1_gpio                 3246  0 

wire                   21783  1 w1_gpio

bonding               103653  0 

fuse                   80499  1 

autofs4                25155  2 

btrfs                 864768  0 

xor                     7330  1 btrfs

raid6_pq               85616  1 btrfs

No evdev? All the xserver drivers are installed. I don't know if it's just the kernel module or where exactly to go here. Mouse and keyboard are on a usb hub too so it's not a power issue. If it was x86 I'd figure out how to hammer this out but with arm64 and it being so new it could just not be supported yet or be a bug I am unaware of. It could even be MATE I suppose as the issue only exists in GUI. Figure folks that do this every day are better equipped than me to figure this out...

lsusb

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 045e:0736 Microsoft Corp. Sidewinder X5 Mouse

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 045e:00b0 Microsoft Corp. Digital Media Pro Keyboard

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0409:0059 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I am aware there are some .ini files and scripts that are being used at boot but have not tampered with any of them as I am unsure where to go with what... Not finding enough info on the C2 with other folks having this problem.

Arm64 is new territory for me as I just got this Odroid C2 and this is the first attempt. If I need to roll my own kernel that will be fine. Figured asking would do better than banging my head against the wall for the next week. Any thoughts?

Thanks

amd64 is new territory for everybody. Package base is few months old and it's not complete. Since it's not broadly tested, problems could exists in this level too. Furthermore C2 kernel is more or less development, it's very buggy ... many things can go wrong. 

Server to desktop upgrades should work, best with Jessie, yes. it's working fine on most boards but was never tested on C2.

BTW: we have mouse on our desktop build.

I figured I was in a grey area still. I can do what I need to do from tty. I really don't want a display manager booting in a gui. This C2 was bought for a server job to run docker. It's just nice to have access to a gui every now and then when you need it. I rolled up an ubuntu 16.04 image last night and will try it out today too. 

I don't mind buggy as long as some functionality remains...

Thanks Igor