OPi PC+ Thermal problems and Too quiet sound out

Pasha Ram

Hello,

Wish a good health everyone nowadays!

I'm using Orange Pi PC Plus with small aluminium heatsink running Armbian Buster (mainline kernel 5.4.y). SD Card is Samsung EVO Plus 32gb. 

The CPU governor was set to 480 to 1200,  conservative.

The system are fresh, just after install. After ~5 minutes of idle uptime temperature comes to 85 and up.

Is that heatsink are not good enough? 

And the second issue I've faced - too quiet sound output from AV-out. The most quiet is Chromium, it is nasty quiet. Sound from local video files in mpv player are bit(2 times) louder both from mp4 and webm, also mp3. Have not tested HDMI(because my display have only DVI). And when I tested it again before posting, Bluetooth A2DP audio stopped working with my phone:huh:. The sound from phone over BT was bit louder, than from Chromium, same as in mpv player.

Thanks,

Paul

photo_2020-04-15_23-28-08.jpg

photo_2020-04-15_23-28-14.jpg

I can only give you few insights - with a little bigger heatsink and running

stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 1000s

I can push the board (CLI) barely up to 80° and heatsink temperature doesn't pass over 50°. In your case, most likely 3D engine (lima) is doing something which contribute to some heating. I would say your heatsink is surely too small for the load, yes, but also this 3D engine is far from fine tuned - its status is "it works somehow". Perhaps Mali DVFS (which is unrelated to CPU speed settings) part is not working properly or not at all. I think that could explain overheating.

For audio - I don't know, but I think I read it sowewhere. Try to do some better searching.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, Igor said:

I can only give you few insights - with a little bigger heatsink and running

stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 1000s

I can push the board (CLI) barely up to 80° and heatsink temperature doesn't pass over 50°. In your case, most likely 3D engine (lima) is doing something which contribute to some heating. I would say your heatsink is surely too small for the load, yes, but also this 3D engine is far from fine tuned - its status is "it works somehow". Perhaps Mali DVFS (which is unrelated to CPU speed settings) part is not working properly or not at all. I think that could explain overheating.

For audio - I don't know, but I think I read it sowewhere. Try to do some better searching.

Igor, thank you for the answer. Have to installed bigger heatsink 30x16x20 mm. and 30x30 5v fan. doing stress test right now.

The maximum temperature was 53C during the test. But my OPi sounds now like a i7 laptop running heavy game.

Also thanks for the explanation about Lima. But how can 3D engine could do something, if it's no present at any process when I'm running htop?

45 minutes ago, Pasha Ram said:

The maximum temperature was 53C during the test. But my OPi sounds now like a i7 laptop running heavy game.

:P Well, you only need a larger heat sink. IMHO there is no need for a fan in that case. I am occasionally using 120x120 12V fan attached to 5V to cool down my sbc in testing. You can barely hear it.

45 minutes ago, Pasha Ram said:

But how can 3D engine could do something, if it's no present at any process when I'm running htop?

Chromium is using it.

7 minutes ago, Igor said:

:P Well, you only need a larger heat sink. IMHO there is no need for a fan in that case. I am occasionally using 120x120 12V fan attached to 5V to cool down my sbc in testing. You can barely hear it.

Chromium is using it.

Already tested without fan. With only bigger heatsink temperature grows to 80 and up in idle. 

Chromium using it even is not running? 

51 minutes ago, Pasha Ram said:

Chromium using it even is not running?

No. I am referring to your initial post.

51 minutes ago, Pasha Ram said:

With only bigger heatsink temperature grows to 80 and up in idle. 

For idle, that's not normal. Even without heatsink it should not go that high. Can you measure the temp? Is CPU that hot that you can't hold your finger on?

5 minutes ago, Igor said:

No. I am referring to your initial post.

For idle, that's not normal. Even without heatsink it should not go that high. Can you measure the temp? Is CPU that hot that you can't hold your finger on?

In my initial post Chromium probably working during testing. But later I did tests without Chromium running and results is the same.

I measured with htop and it goes above 80C every time with small or bigger heatsink without fan. And yes, CPU as hot as I cant hold finger.  It happens every time in idle, so I bought a fan.

___  ____  _   ____   ____         
 / _ \|  _ \(_) |  _ \ / ___|    _   
| | | | |_) | | | |_) | |      _| |_ 
| |_| |  __/| | |  __/| |___  |_   _|
 \___/|_|   |_| |_|    \____|   |_|  

Welcome to Armbian buster with Linux 5.4.37-sunxi

No end-user support: untested automated build

System load:   0.00 0.00 0.00      Up time:       1 day 21:34        
Memory usage:  9 % of 999MB      IP:            10.0.30.118
CPU temp:      46°C               
Usage of /:    17% of 7.1

This is how idle should look like.

19 hours ago, Igor said:

___  ____  _   ____   ____         
 / _ \|  _ \(_) |  _ \ / ___|    _   
| | | | |_) | | | |_) | |      _| |_ 
| |_| |  __/| | |  __/| |___  |_   _|
 \___/|_|   |_| |_|    \____|   |_|  

Welcome to Armbian buster with Linux 5.4.37-sunxi

No end-user support: untested automated build

System load:   0.00 0.00 0.00      Up time:       1 day 21:34        
Memory usage:  9 % of 999MB      IP:            10.0.30.118
CPU temp:      46°C               
Usage of /:    17% of 7.1

This is how idle should look like.

I made sd card with fresh Armbian install and loaded it before amrbian-config. I got 73C after 10 minutes and 78C after 20 minutes.

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

5 hours ago, Pasha Ram said:

I made sd card with fresh Armbian install and loaded it before amrbian-config. I got 73C after 10 minutes and 78C after 20 minutes.

From software department perspective, we hit the wall. Broken hardware? 

19 hours ago, Igor said:

From software department perspective, we hit the wall. Broken hardware? 

Igor, thank you so much for your support.

This is very sad, I must say. Never ever used it without heatsink.