Question about kernel, and debian verions on OPIone

psygnosis

Question

Hi,

I'm here again, the quarantine is almost over (sadly 'cause here in italy we are a bunch of a****le) and I finally get rid of my kodi 17 on retrorangepi 4.2 (old) that give me a lot of problems (with wifi connection lost, scraper that didn't update, and freeze, not for sure a problem with retrorangepi itself).

so...

I have something in my mind now that I'm back to home with my new FTTH internet connection.

I want to setup an armbian image with or withot desktop for octoprint

Armbian with 5.4 kernel (xfce debian) is really slow and temperature (with heatsink) don't go under 60°C on idle, with retrorangepi based on Debian Jessie, temps go from 45°C to 50°C on idle. So maybe - MAYBE - the problem could be the kernel? If so, because I don't care about security in this particular case (I need OPI just to execute octoprint on local),
Could downgrade kernel (by using a legacy version) bring to an improvement on performance/temp? and give me the possibility to install package like octoprint or deluge? or some dependancy are linked to the kernel version?

I know that maybe it will be a stupid question, but I'm wasting a lot of time with this board, because I'm so stubborn (and broke). thank you

1 answer to this question

Newer kernel versions in general seem to need slightly more power which Armbian cannot do much about usince we depend on upstream.

Could downgrade kernel (by using a legacy version) bring to an improvement on performance/temp?

I have never tested that. THOUGH I have to say that I also have an OrangePi One which serves PiHole in my LAN.

___  ____  _    ___
 / _ \|  _ \(_)  / _ \ _ __   ___
| | | | |_) | | | | | | '_ \ / _ \
| |_| |  __/| | | |_| | | | |  __/
 \___/|_|   |_|  \___/|_| |_|\___|

Welcome to Armbian buster with Linux 5.4.36-sunxi

No end-user support: built from trunk

System load:   0.00 0.00 0.00   Up time:       15 days 19:17
Memory usage:  21 % of 492MB    Zram usage:    4 % of 246Mb     IP:            192.168.178.252
CPU temp:      30°C
Usage of /:    5% of 29G

[ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ]

root@pihole:~#

No fancy high temperature.

Let's start with something general and very basic and you should always provide: armbianmonitor -u

:)

Help Armbian team helping you