XU4 upgrade kernel (boot from HDD

Will Santana

Armbianmonitor:

Hi, guys. Little help here

After being tired of my docker containers loosing connectivity to the internet I've decided to fully update/upgrade armbian (including the kernel)

Now my system boots but most applications don't work. Most cases are missing kernel modules
The /lib/modules dir contains the new updated content as the /boot too
But the system keeps booting the old kernel image (4.14.176) and not the new one (4.14.195). It makes no difference if I upgrade the kernel via apt or via armbian-config

I guess the issue is the files still in the SD card used for boot (they are 4.14.176 by it's names). Shouldn't armbian-config update those files?
If not, how do I update them so my apps can get back to work? I've mounted /dev/mmcblk1p1 and have access to the files, just don't know which ones I should overwrite

Thanks in advance
Will

5 minutes ago, Will Santana said:

Now my system boots but most applications don't work. Most cases are missing kernel modules
The /lib/modules dir contains the new updated content as the /boot too
But the system keeps booting the old kernel image (4.14.176) and not the new one (4.14.195). It makes no difference if I upgrade the kernel via apt or via armbian-config

Updated doesn't work properly because your SD card /boot is not mounted to /boot (our way of installing fixes that, manual installs or manipulating fstab breaks this) ... kernel boot image is loaded while on / you could and you have different kernel modules. You need to copy zImage + ramdisk + dtb directory.

17 minutes ago, Igor said:

Updated doesn't work properly because your SD card /boot is not mounted to /boot (our way of installing fixes that, manual installs or manipulating fstab breaks this) ... kernel boot image is loaded while on / you could and you have different kernel modules. You need to copy zImage + ramdisk + dtb directory.

Thanks for the fast reply, Igor

You mean I should overwrite the zImage, uInitrd and dtb "files" (links, but the files they point to) copying form the HDD to the SD Card?
What about the System.map and config files? Their dates are older, but also named as 4.14.195

HDD /boot content:
image.png

SD Card /boot content
image.png

Att,
Will

1 hour ago, Will Santana said:

copying form the HDD to the SD Card?

Yes. Just do the direction you will ended up with identical versions with modules, then leave SD card /boot mounted to /boot and update to latest. Moving config and system.map is optional.

22 hours ago, Igor said:

Yes. Just do the direction you will ended up with identical versions with modules, then leave SD card /boot mounted to /boot and update to latest. Moving config and system.map is optional.

Sorry it took so long to reply. As a new user I got a 2 posts/day limit and had to wait until it refreshed.

22 hours ago, Igor said:

Sorry it took so long to reply. As a new user I got a 2 posts/day limit and had to wait until it refreshed.

Just to let you know that (as expected) it worked

Mapped the SD partition to /mnt (mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt), then mapped /mnt/boot to /boot (mount --bind /mnt/boot /boot) and ran the upgrade via armbian-config again with no errors at all

All my apps are back up and running

Thank you so much for your help

If I could add something to the discution, that would be that when detected that the OS is running from and external device (it seems to have been done as you can't run "nand-sata-insall" twice), then the kernel upgrade procedure in armbian-config should map de SD to the proper location automatically, saving more unexperienced people from crashing their systems with something quite simple

Once more, HUGE thanks for your help

Att,

Will

Edited by Will Santana

24 minutes ago, Will Santana said:

should map de SD to the proper location automatically

This is done automatically if you start with a clean build and install system to some hard/USB drive. In case you do some advanced things, manipulate fstab by hand ... this might not be the case.

28 minutes ago, Will Santana said:

as you can't run "nand-sata-insall" twice

Yes. That is predicted behaviour. This installer have some issues. We would need to made it from scratch, but that is a serious project that doesn't wants to spin up.