wifi usb adpater

rsegoly

for two GOOD reasons

1. I hoped Orange Pi can serve also those who are not experts in Linux/compilation/etc. To be smooth as raspberry pi

2. I have tried this procedure with no luck, but again I am not an expert 

1. Armbian is non experts friendly. You can compile drivers out of the box if drivers are made properly and supported with (old) kernel. H3 is just about to get a modern kernel, where things will be better in this area.

2. This does not mean it's our fault. Perhaps driver is made dirty or it's simply not compatible. We can't do anything - supporting 3rd party hardware is out of our reach. We try to make onboard wireless cards to work, the rest is too huge.

And to add one more thing if you referring Raspberry PI. There are lot's of USB adaptors on the market, which does not and won't work within Linux even manufacturer declared "Linux support". You should be happy if there is a list of "supported / recommended" and buy one of those. Even in that case, complications are possible, since if it's working on one kernel, it's not necessarily supported in another. If you buy blindly and try to make it work, you usually need to be an expert.

Adding to this: If I would want to use a cheap H3 board with 2.4GHz WiFi (which I clearly don't since 2.4GHz is too overcrowded in this area) I would choose an appropriate H3 device board with onboard 2.4Ghz WiFi -- for example OPi Lite. And if I would need both Ethernet and WiFi maybe OPi PC Plus instead. And if I already have a couple of OPi One lying around and want to equip them with WiFi I would follow the known to work tutorial from Rodolfo and ensure I buy exactly those cheap Realtek thingies since they are confirmed to work even without driver compilation. It's simply a matter of choice:

• OPi One + cheap RTL8188CUS dongle = $17 ($5 for SD card calculated)
  • OPi Lite with onboard RTL8189FTV = $17 ($5 for SD card calculated)
  • OPi PC Plus with onboard RTL8189FTV = $20 (no need for SD card due to onboard eMMC)

All these combinations are known to work (client and AP mode, with RTL8189FTV also monitor mode possible if module is loaded appropriately), tutorials are available and the only caveat I know of seems to be the crappy wicd GUI that needs some weird settings for WPA to work?

BTW: @Igor have you checked whether package 'wpagui' could be a replacement for wicd or network-manager?

2. I have tried this procedure with no luck, but again I am not an expert 

I do not consider myself an expert ( ex-spurt ) at all. I just like to learn and as an engineer I'm too lazy to not pick the low-hanging fruit. Keep it simple and

try to follow advice from others who have successfully managed to make things go right. Best of luck !