How to install the latest version?

Suxsem

Ok this sound soooo noob.

I have long experience in linux and android development but this is my very first time with SBC, so please be patient :D

I just received my new Orange PI PC plus!

I want to install some stable and constantly developed distro for a headless server and I chose Armbian.

On http://docs.armbian.com/Release_Changelog/i read that 5.15 bring important update like fixed board auto detection and fixed eMMC install script).

BUT

I can only find 5.14 on armbian site!

So...without compiling it by myself (i want to gather more experience before build it myself), how can i get the latest version?

I think I could do something like:

1) install 5.14 on SD

2) apt-get upgrade to 5.15

3) install on eMMC

but i'd like to make a fresh install without mess things with upgrade.

Sooo....anyone can help a new excited user?? :D

@Suxsem

it depends on your need.

if you need a headless server, probably linux vanilla is ok

if you need desktop and/or some features not in vanilla, go  for legacy, Armbian applies all the kernel security patches available.

Edited by goldfish_paris
no vanilla kernel yet for general public for OPi+

On http://docs.armbian.com/Release_Changelog/ i read that 5.15 bring important update like fixed board auto detection and fixed eMMC install script

That's simply because some weeks ago our documentation got f*cked up somehow. The 5.15 changelog entry is just copy & paste from H3 mini FAQ and contains changes that were made between 5.06 and 5.15 (many of them only relevant for H3 boards)

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/documentation/H3_mini_faq.md#os-images-with-vanilla-kernel-4x might also explain situation regarding vanilla kernel and H3.

Thanks you all guys, all clear!

Just a final note: You can either use our build system to create images with vanilla kernel (if you keep in mind that throttling is yet not working -- so please add a heatsink when you want to try out mainline kernel now) or update an older test image as outlined in post #8 here. But both attempts are 'playground only' and you might run into problems when trying to update these images when vanilla kernel support is officially available. So better wait for availability of official images later.

Ok guys i have a problem.

I have installed 5.14 on SD and connected to Internet through wifi (ifconfig showed wlan0)

Then I did apt get upgrade and then nand-sata-install.

I removed the SD and reboot, all fine, EXCEPT I don't have wlan0 anymore in ifconfig and can't connect to my wifi network.

Any help?

ok this is really strange:

i formatted my sd again, installed 5.14 and did the first boot.

now i DON'T have wlan0 also if it's a clean install!

lsusb also doesn't show anything related to the wifi...

problem solved! i disconnected the power cord and reattached it and now I can scan my wifi networks :D i was doing all with reboots, sometimes a full power down is required!

Please read through this thread then replace line 291 in /etc/init.d/armhwinfo with

lsmod | grep -q 8189fs && rmmod -f 8189fs 

and report back. I would suspect this will correctly power cycle the WiFi chip then and should solve this issue.

lsusb also doesn't show anything related to the wifi...

WiFi is fortunately connected through SDIO on all H3 boards so the place to look would be /sys/bus/sdio/devices/ (devices will only appear after driver is loaded)

Please read through this thread then replace line 291 in /etc/init.d/armhwinfo with

lsmod | grep -q 8189fs && rmmod -f 8189fs 

and report back. I would suspect this will correctly power cycle the WiFi chip then and should solve this issue.

WiFi is fortunately connected through SDIO on all H3 boards so the place to look would be /sys/bus/sdio/devices/ (devices will only appear after driver is loaded)

oh this is why lsusb doesn't show it! thanks!

anyway now wifi it's working also after reboots so i will not apply your suggestion until i will have problems again.

all good! awesome distro, thanks!