Unable to boot

Alsan Wong

Help please!

I have a bp2 which was bought almost a year ago, and use Armbian_5.14_Bananapi_Debian_jessie_3.4.112.raw as the image for couple of months. Today, I'm try to upgrade to the Armbian_5.14_Bananapi_Ubuntu_xenial_4.6.2.raw image, but the pi can't boot at all.

What I do to prepare the sdcard with the following procedure:

1. remote the old partitation, and create a new fat32 partitation

2. dd bs=1M if=Armbian_5.14_Bananapi_Ubuntu_xenial_4.6.2.raw of=/dev/sdc; and sync

3. mark the written partitation as bootable with fdisk

ps: I'm using fish shell, and the syntax for the dd command is valid

So, what's wrong with my steps? How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance.

- did you download image for bananapi or bananapim2 ?

- why do you create a FAT partition or edit it with fdisk

- when you dd in sdc, the partition table is copied as well, so you should have notice that you have no more fat32 partition.

So :

- verify you got the right image

- dd, sync, eject/insert SD and mount /dev/sdc1 to check fs integrity, and dismount

- unplug all connector before boot to be sure the card do a full reset

I am new to this forum and to Armbian. I have a Pcduino 3B and Pcduino V2. The 3B works great with the v5.20 Armbian build. The update to v5.23 worked as well. Video is working very well and is definitely not as dark as on v5.20.  Now the V2 is giving me fits. It will not boot at all using the Armbian build. If a wait long enough, it will just boot with the Ubuntu build that is in the onboard memory, usually about 10 minutes. I tried the original Ubuntu 12 and Android builds from LinkSprite and all work correctly. Yes, I followed exactly as the directions provided on your site for downloading and build the SD card. I even tried three different CD cards. All work with other builds but not the Armbian.  I use the USB Image formatter and writer utilities on my Linux Mint machine to do all the SD card builds. This is the first time it hasn't worked. I love Armbian and prefer over the LinkSprite.  I have resurrected my media player for my camper, and plan to pursue my automated train control system with the other. May buy another Pcduino card if can't get the V2 to run Armbian. Thank you. 

I am new to this forum and to Armbian. I have a Pcduino 3B and Pcduino V2. The 3B works great with the v5.20 Armbian build. The update to v5.23 worked as well. Video is working very well and is definitely not as dark as on v5.20.  Now the V2 is giving me fits. It will not boot at all using the Armbian build. If a wait long enough, it will just boot with the Ubuntu build that is in the onboard memory, usually about 10 minutes. I tried the original Ubuntu 12 and Android builds from LinkSprite and all work correctly. Yes, I followed exactly as the directions provided on your site for downloading and build the SD card. I even tried three different CD cards. All work with other builds but not the Armbian.  I use the USB Image formatter and writer utilities on my Linux Mint machine to do all the SD card builds. This is the first time it hasn't worked. I love Armbian and prefer over the LinkSprite.  I have resurrected my media player for my camper, and plan to pursue my automated train control system with the other. May buy another Pcduino card if can't get the V2 to run Armbian. Thank you. 

We noticed some problems with recent u-boot on some A10 and A20 boards. Since I don't own this particular board, I can't deal with the problem properly. If you are willing to do few tests, I can provide you test image with some older u-boot (perhaps v2015.10 like on Cubieboard2 ?). If you are able to change it on your own and figure out which (latest) is working well, this would be even better.

We noticed some problems with recent u-boot on some A10 and A20 boards. Since I don't own this particular board, I can't deal with the problem properly. If you are willing to do few tests, I can provide you test image with some older u-boot (perhaps v2015.10 like on Cubieboard2 ?). If you are able to change it on your own and figure out which (latest) is working well, this would be even better.

Hi i try to install Armbian on my pcduino2 too but if i follow the link in your site i get 5.20 version i saw this thread and try to downgrade to 5.14 but always the same black screen of death :-)

No problems with LinkSprite bloatwares too …

I try to follow your test link but nothing for pcduino2 ? i could test anything you want too and right now because i need an OS for some nodjs server dev …

Thanks for your work (Even if i cant see it :) ) Debian rocks for server …

Hi i try to install Armbian on my pcduino2 too but if i follow the link in your site i get 5.20 version i saw this thread and try to downgrade to 5.14 but always the same black screen of death :-)

No problems with LinkSprite bloatwares too …

I try to follow your test link but nothing for pcduino2 ? i could test anything you want too and right now because i need an OS for some nodjs server dev …

Thanks for your work (Even if i cant see it  :) ) Debian rocks for server …

I added Pcduino 2 to nighty test images. It will be available tomorrow ... please try it and report if it works for you.

You are welcome :)  

Armbian_5.24.161205_Pcduino2_Debian_jessie_3.4.113 :

Pro :

- is better i see something now :)

Cons: 

- Screen is corrupt at boot just after the Armbian logo (For server is not a problem)

- I get a kernel Panic when i reboot

Some temporally screen corruption when kernel loads is normal, but you get a login prompt on HDMI console? Please provide some logs, that we can try to solve problems. 

Does kernel panic means, your board does not reboot or it just panics and reboot? Are you using wireless network?

Login as root and type:

armbianmonitor -u

For server usage it's better to use mainline kernel. 

Check here how to upgrade:

https://www.armbian.com/kernel/

Hi, i try to upgrade with :

linux-u-boot-pcduino2-next
linux-image-next-sunxi 
linux-headers-next-sunxi
linux-firmware-image-next-sunxi
linux-dtb-next-sunxi
linux-$(lsb_release -cs)-root-next-pcduino2

And same black screen of death …  :( I Gone chroot now thanks to my nandd  :)

Hi, i try to upgrade with :

linux-u-boot-pcduino2-next

linux-image-next-sunxi 

linux-headers-next-sunxi

linux-firmware-image-next-sunxi

linux-dtb-next-sunxi

linux-$(lsb_release -cs)-root-next-pcduino2

And same black screen of death …  :( I Gone chroot now thanks to my nandd  :)

If you still have time and will, I added mainline image to the beta builds, kernel 4.8.12, updated u-boot. Let's see if this works.

Check .161207 build.