OPi Zero with supported Armbian 22.02 Jammy not accessible via SSH

emk2203
Go to solution Solved by emk2203,

• Solution

My OPi Zero is not accessible via SSH after installing the new supported image Armbian 22.02 Jammy.

After the install, the device is up and ping-able. Any attempt to SSH in with `ssh root@<ip-address>` ends in a `ssh: connect to host 192.168.88.9 port 22: Connection timed out` error. When I reboot the board and try again, it's still the same issue. A ping with `ping 192.168.88.9` works.

For completeness, I tried also with the edge instead of the current jammy image. Same error.

@emk2203 What happens when you try login through the serial console?  (aka. /dev/ttyS0)

Why try this? Try find out if your OPi Zero is actually accepting any logins. Once you've got a # prompt over the serial connection, you can start diagnosing the SSH issue. Might be as simple as re-installing the SSH daemon with out-of-the-box settings.  Also, any chance you have a firewall blocking access?   There are my guesses.  Werner is right that there is insufficient information to try and help you at this moment in time.

OK, I solved the issue myself. Thanks to @Myron for his post, but it was much, much easier than that.

I leave this up so the next one who makes a fool out of himself does at least know why.

Solution: I used

xzcat img/Armbian_22.02.1_Orangepizero_jammy_current_5.15.25.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=2M status=progress; sync

to write the image. Out of habit, I used mmcblk0p1 instead of the correct mmcblk0.

This is able to run as shown by the working ping, but it obviously botches the initialization process enough to not start the SSH server.  After rewriting the image with

xzcat img/Armbian_22.02.1_Orangepizero_jammy_current_5.15.25.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=2M status=progress; sync

everything works as expected.

I think it would be nice to have a command-line option in the manual, not just the reference to Balena Etcher or USBImager. With a command line, I wouldn't have had to resort to trial and error and choosing the wrong option (partition instead of full disk). I am not a fan of black-box programs like the above. If it's necessary to check the integrity of the written image, it's always possible to use

head -c $(stat -c '%s' armbian.img) /dev/mmcblk0 | sha1sum

or similar.