Orange Pi Plus 2E speed of eMMC

dnm2dnm

Hi,

I installed armbian onto eMMC.

Frankly, I expected better results.

Please anybody confirm what I understood.

1. The sequence reading speed is 70MBytes/s.

2. The sequence writing speed is 10MBytes/s.

3. eMMC is not optimized for random operations.

4. When writing operation is performed, the system gets VERY SLOW to respond.

And the couple of questions.

1. What utility and where to get to benchmark disks well?

2. Will USB SSD perform with better performance than eMCC?

Thanks a lot in advance and hope to see this in the FAQ.

Dmitry

Check this thread and compare speed to best SD cards or previous generation of embedded storage media (NAND).

8-16GB eMMC is not on the level of desktop size 128-256GB SSD so can't expect that kind of performances especially not for this price tag. Good SSD drive would surely perform better.

And it's in the docs:

http://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card

Benchmark are crap !

They do not represent real usage case and in any case I am not going to install a 250 DB database on an 8 GB SD card or eMMC. For me, what import is the response of the OS and the use as login directory.

Even the more crappy SD card has better response time than a hard disk drive (for limited short file access) because of the rotational latency of the drive. The problem of IO (disk, net, or other) is not the access time but the service time (queuing + operation) when the queue is saturated.

When a mono-server get just the number of requests it can theoretically handle, the wait queue become infinite and so the service time ! Does any benchmark simulate a consequent number of independent random operations and test the effect of a heavy transfer which saturate the queue at the expense of the other processes ? I never saw such reports although it is what import really. And it depends of the device, the controllers, the bus and the drivers.

I have an SSD on an intel Atom board : the system responsiveness is excellent. I have a (cheap) eMMC on a bpi m2+ : the responsiveness is good (but I dont use heavy graphical desktop or even browser - so maybe it is bad in those cases)