Hardware (H/W) Acceleration Support for Video Decoding in Browser

erturk47

Hi, I have a Radxa Zero 4+64 GB model SBC. I saw new Xiaomi 4k tv stick and it has Amlogic S905Y4 and it has similar performance to S905Y2. I wonder when radxa zero will get h/w acceleration to use all potential of SoC. If there is already got h/w acceleration support, I'm sorry for writing this questions. I tried radxa debian (official), manjaro and armbian images. All of them not able to play videos smoothly in firefox. Thanks for all replies.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, erturk47 said:

I wonder when radxa zero will get h/w acceleration to use all potential of SoC.

In order to have such functionality in open source, where anyone can integrate code from another, this will be a lot harder. For example - our user / you covers us only 0.5% of costs of this project https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/ Manjaro on ARM is a lot smaller project and basically only builds mainline kernel for you. Official builds - they are patching stock kernel, where such functions might be glued together in some proprietary way, with blobs. Linux distributions usually don't go that way since that would mean support can be tied to one (and those very similar) hardware only.

What you are asking for is expensive to develop and I am not aware if there are any usable common ways. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Foundation has 1000+ volunteers and around 100 full-time staff and yearly revenue of 500+ million dollars. If they can't provide this functionality OOB within their budget, few people certainly can't. This problem is also not Radxa specific. They integrate SoCs and sell it. We are focused into a build framework, so you can use this HW for something. For full potential, you need to look into different price range.

• Igor pinned this topic