Display + Wi-Fi 5G

SET

Hello.

I downloaded Armbian 22.05 Jammy XFCE for Desktop.

When I boot up my Orange Pi 4 LTS everything looks good.

The first problem was a Wi-Fi 5G password (system dont recognize my password), only 2.4G works.

The second problem (and the main problem) was a display - when X start, my display turn off (I have HDMI-connection).

What I am doing wrong?

I did not test 5G wifi connection, this issue seems it has been already raised in the past and honestl I see little room for improvement from armbian side: IMHO there is something missing from the driver or the firmware for the wifi chip.

It was unexpectedly painful to integrate the wifi driver into mainline 5.15 kernel (it worked fine on 5.10) that I totally forgot to test 5G connection; anyway the driver has several shortcomings on its own that the missing 5G functionality does not surprise me.

About the HDMI issue, can't say anything: never experienced such issue on my full-hd basic monitor. What monitor are you using? Did you try another cable or another monitor port? Do your monitor has audio? Are you using any kind of adapter?

7 часов назад, jock сказал:

I did not test 5G wifi connection, this issue seems it has been already raised in the past and honestl I see little room for improvement from armbian side: IMHO there is something missing from the driver or the firmware for the wifi chip.

It was unexpectedly painful to integrate the wifi driver into mainline 5.15 kernel (it worked fine on 5.10) that I totally forgot to test 5G connection; anyway the driver has several shortcomings on its own that the missing 5G functionality does not surprise me.

About the HDMI issue, can't say anything: never experienced such issue on my full-hd basic monitor. What monitor are you using? Did you try another cable or another monitor port? Do your monitor has audio? Are you using any kind of adapter?

I have a very simple monitor too. I don't try another cable. My monitor doesn't have audio. I'll try VGA-HDMI adapter and inform you.

I noticed that the monitor loses the signal after logging in to X.

04.08.2022 в 17:26, jock сказал:

I bought a brand new VGA cable and an HDMI-VGA adapter. After boot the start logo became of terrible quality than over HDMI cable. The result is the same, only now I don't even see a screen for entering a username and password)

photo_2022-08-07_15-44-19.jpg

I agree with @Werner, I was asking if an adapter was in use to understand if there could be an interference with the HDMI signal.

The output of these commands can be useful:

xrandr --verbose
get-edid | parse-edid

(you may wish to install read-edid package first for get-edid and parse-edid utils)

Ok, took a look to this.

xrandr of course works only when there is an X11 session running; it must can be run from a SSH session of the same user logged in X11 this way:

export DISPLAY=:0
xrandr --verbose

About get-edid, it requires the right bus on the command line because autoscanning does not seem to work (can be run either from SSH session or a terminal):

sudo get-edid -b 7 | parse-edid

This is what I get, for example, on my system with a basic 21" HP monitor:

paolo@orangepi4-lts:~$ sudo get-edid -b 7 | parse-edid
This is read-edid version 3.0.2. Prepare for some fun.
Attempting to use i2c interface
Only trying 7 as per your request.
256-byte EDID successfully retrieved from i2c bus 7
Looks like i2c was successful. Have a good day.
Checksum Correct

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "HP 22w"
        ModelName "HP 22w"
        VendorName "HPN"
        # Monitor Manufactured week 15 of 2019
        # EDID version 1.3
        # Digital Display
        DisplaySize 480 270
        Gamma 2.20
        Option "DPMS" "true"
        Horizsync 30-80
        VertRefresh 50-60
        # Maximum pixel clock is 170MHz
        #Not giving standard mode: 1920x1080, 60Hz
        #Not giving standard mode: 1280x720, 60Hz
        #Not giving standard mode: 1600x900, 60Hz
        #Not giving standard mode: 1680x1050, 60Hz
        #Not giving standard mode: 1440x900, 60Hz
        #Not giving standard mode: 1280x800, 60Hz
        #Not giving standard mode: 1280x1024, 60Hz

#Extension block found. Parsing...
        Modeline        "Mode 10" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync 
        Modeline        "Mode 0" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync 
        Modeline        "Mode 1" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 2" 148.500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 3" 74.250 1280 1390 1420 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 4" 74.250 1280 1720 1760 1980 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 5" 27.027 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 6" 27.000 720 732 796 864 576 581 586 625 -hsync -vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 7" 27.027 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 8" 27.000 720 732 796 864 576 581 586 625 -hsync -vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 9" 25.200 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
        Modeline        "Mode 11" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync 
        Option "PreferredMode" "Mode 10"
EndSection

Thanks for the EDID, I don't see anything particularly wrong there and also the monitor is correctly detected.

I may just believe that since that 1920x1080@75Hz may be untested/incompatible with some HDMI timings programmed in the kernel.

Please also post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but honestly I don't know what can be wrong with your setup.

You could also find instructions on the internet on how to force 1920x1080@60Hz when X.org boots, instead of autoprobing the resolution mode, maybe this could help giving you a usable graphical interface.

For example, the file that contains the monitor configuration is ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml, editing from the command line using nano could help.

11 часов назад, jock сказал:

or example, the file that contains the monitor configuration is ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml, editing from the command line using nano could help.

First of all I wanted to look at the contents of this file and it turned out to be almost empty (see photo).

11 часов назад, jock сказал:

Please also post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but honestly I don't know what can be wrong with your setup.

Next step was this file - here is a link http://ix.io/47SD

And then I want to rewrite my SD-card. I downloaded and installed Armbian 22.05 Jammy Gnome... and I finally saw my desktop)

Now I can enter these commands in terminal:

13.08.2022 в 15:51, jock сказал:
export DISPLAY=:0
xrandr --verbose

Here is a link http://ix.io/47T0

But, unfortunately, the problems persisted.

When I did:

Цитата

sudo apt-get update

and enter my password monitor shut down.

I reboot PC, wait some time, all was good. Then I saw a window "Software updater", press "Yes" and enter my password again.

And again monitor shut down.

It seems to me that now the monitor turns off after entering the password.

photo_2022-08-17_23-49-02.jpg

Edited by SET

Hmmm, please confirm the timeline:

Fresh new image burned on sdcard: everything works, you can login and you get a fully working desktop.

Then you do apt update (but no apt upgrade ?), reboot, then you can login and then the monitor turns off?

apt update alone does not do much to the system, it just downloads the catalogue of updates, but does not install/change anything.

From Xorg.0.log you posted, the X.org server correctly detects 1920x1080 resolution (there is no 75Hz, just 60Hz refresh rate though) and tries to use that, but as far as I understand you took that log while you had your desktop running: this does not give any clues about the failure reason just because there was no failure, since the desktop was working fine 😅

I will check a fresh image and do apt update && apt upgrade to see if anything breaks on my system.

5 часов назад, jock сказал:

Hmmm, please confirm the timeline

Right timeline:

1) 02.08.2022 - I installed Armbian 22.05 Jammy XFCE

When I boot up the computer, I see the login and password fields. After entering the password, the monitor goes blank.

05.08.2022 в 00:59, SET сказал:

I noticed that the monitor loses the signal after logging in to X.

But I can run command line Ctrl+Alt+F1 before login and can enter any sudo command with no problems.

2) 18.08.2022 - I installed Armbian 22.05 Jammy Gnome

When I boot up the computer, I dont' see the login and password fields - i see desktop like autologin.

When I run terminal Ctrl+Alt+T and enter any command with sudo, then enter my password, the monitor goes blank (just click Enter on keyboard then monitor black).

Then I reboot and do "xrandr" at terminal without sudo - everything was good.

And when I enter my password at "Software updater" window, click Enter and my monitor goes blank again.

Edited by SET

That's right: on first boot it is configured to do autologin, so you configure the root and user passwords and then the desktop appears automatically.

I tried the steps you did, but apt update and then apt upgrade worked pretty well, the system was perfectly functional even after reboot.

The issue though is something I never heard about. In practice, whenever you are asked and enter the password, either from GUI or CLI, the screen goes blank.

It looks totally weird to me, really never ever heard about such issue on any of my platforms and boards!

I wonder if the board is still responsive when the monitor goes blank:

• could you login via ssh?
  • do dmesg says something intersting about display?
  • what is the output of sudo systemctl status lightdm (or sudo systemctl status gddm if you are on gnome) ?
  • if you run, from ssh console, sudo systemctl restart lightdm (or gddm if on gnome) what happens? You should get again the login prompt and be able to login

@jock I have a new experiment. I turned on my PC and left it for 1.5 hours, just to see its temperature and whether it will turn off without my commands.

No problems with "do not disturb" mode, PC working well.

Then I ran the commands:

whoami

Good.

sudo whoami

Good too. Wow! Not any command with sudo make my display blank!

sudo apt-get update

Wow again! My PC was still working. And...

sudo apt-get upgrade

My PC down. Display blank with "No signal" text (I never said it, but I meant it). That is why...

5 часов назад, jock сказал:

I wonder if the board is still responsive when the monitor goes blank:

• could you login via ssh?

No, I can't.

Well, I may guess there is a problem somewhere else.

It could be an issue with the sdcard/emmc or a power issue (does openssl speed -multi 6 rsa turn off the board?), because the unresponsive system - not being able to ssh in - means not only the monitor blanks, but the board turns off or freezes.

The board should also have a blinking led by default, does the led stop blinking when the system is unresponsive?