MXQ Pro Armbian 5.88 problem startup!

Mario663

Hi, on my MXQ Pro S905x I managed to install the Armbian_5.88_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0_desktop_20190611.img.xz version in the emmc and used meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb........when I ran the ls command I only got 2 options

Install2018.sh or install.sh I chose install.sh. At startup I have to press the "X" on the keyboard to start the graphical environment, how can I solve it!? thank you!

On this box I had difficulty starting the boot from the SD I tried several times with the toothpick method but I didn't want to know how to start from the SD until I installed aml-autoscrip.zip the boot screen immediately started I did the various origins I had access to the graphical environment, I installed with the install.sh command in the flash memory and everything went well I restarted and removed the sd ..... now to start it starts, however, at the black screen I have to press a few keys on the keyboard, most of the time the "x"..... do you think it is possible to install build 20.10 having only 1GB of ram and 8GB of flash memory!?

I don't understand your last post.  You mention 20.10, but the current builds are 23.02 and that is what you should be downloading from the link I posted above.  You say "now it starts, however..."  what version are you saying starts?  Your original post talks about an ancient 5.88 build and the link I sent you is for 23.02.  I don't know where 20.10 is coming from.

7 hours ago, Mario663 said:

Ok which one does my case CLI , Minimal , xfce!?

Which ever you want (CLI = command line, i.e. server no gui; minimal = cli with minimal pre installed packages; xfce = gui desktop with xfce)

I will need you to post the beginning part of the boot process you see, not the end.

Also, what dtb file are you using? did you reenable multiboot? what u-boot.ext?

Finally, I'm assuming the output above is from you attempting to boot 23-02 from sd card not from emmc, correct?

Yes then I tried both xfce and the minimum gives me the same screen! Yes, the boot is from SD, the multiboot with the toothpick method is not needed as when starting it starts the boot from sd by itself after installing the aml_autoscript.zip I think it's not even pressing the key with the toothpick it doesn't change anything for me ! I renamed the .deb file to the text conf file. with # the one concerning my processor version which is already written by default ...905x.p212! then I renamed the 905X S912 boot file to boot.ext! I can't get a photo of when it starts because it's like when it starts it goes fast and then it crashes on the screen of the photo I posted!

extlinux.conf 
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x.p212.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb

U-boot

u-boot-s905x-s912 = boot.ext

Edited by Mario663

14 minutes ago, Mario663 said:

But can I boot directly from SD to install the new build or do I have to flash android again to install!?

I don't know.  The safest would be to flash android again and install.

6 hours ago, SteeMan said:

I will need you to post the beginning part of the boot process you see, not the end.

I'm still waiting for this requested information.

That was helpful.  I can make out some of the information.  What I would like you to try is to get a clearer picture/video of the information in the attached screenshot (the stuff before "Starting kernel")

What I can see from this screenshot is the problem is with the kernel running, not the u-boot, I need to see the arguments that u-boot is passing to the kernel, which I can't make out from the video you sent.1185565299_Screenshotfrom2022-12-2116-26-54.thumb.png.3b3d874b3f8c0746364eacfabd3586ef.png

That thread has a different error (/dev/mmcblk1p1 does not exist) and he is using different hardware.  Also his issue is that it works fine running from sd card until after he does an update/upgrade.  You can't get it running at all from the sd card.  So most likely very different problems.

7 hours ago, Mario663 said:

FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x.p212.dtb

I just noticed this from your post above.  If this is from your extlinux.conf, you have a typo.  It should be "meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb" (note - not . )

16 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

just noticed this from your post above.  If this is from your extlinux.conf, you have a typo.  It should be "meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb" (note - not . )

Yes I didn't write well here it was by default I just had to remove the #

9 hours ago, SteeMan said:

That thread has a different error (/dev/mmcblk1p1 does not exist) and he is using different hardware.  Also his issue is that it works fine running from sd card until after he does an update/upgrade.  You can't get it running at all from the sd card.  So most likely very different problems.

Ah got it! ok I'll take pictures and videos and post them!

This helps a lot, thanks.

It would appear that there is something wrong with your extlinux.conf file.  Please attach the file you are using for me to review.

The log you posted shows:

Retrieving file: /extlinux/extlinux.conf

Ignoring unknown command: FDT

Ignoring unknown command:

Ignoring unknown command:   append

SCRIPT FAILED: continuing...

Found U-Boot script /boot.scr

Current fdtfile after armbianEnv: amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-libretech-cc.dtb

Mainline bootargs: root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 ...

So the log shows that it can't correctly read the extlinux.conf file, specifically the two important lines (the FDT and append lines, which are the dtb and kernel boot parameters).

So then it falls back to using some default stuff and ends up trying to boot with the wrond dtb and the wrong kernel bootargs.  Which is why the boot process is then failing.

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /uImage
INITRD /uInitrd

#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb

append root=UUID=a9d31d97-348f-4685-9a2c-675531952cd1  rw no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash.armbian

OK, as I suspected, your file has windows carriage returns (^M) at the end of each line.  So I'm guessing you used a windows editor to edit the file, which automatically added these characters. 

I have attached your file with those characters removed.  Please try it.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this issue before as I would think it would be quite common to do exactly what you did.

I'm not 100% sure these extra carriage returns are the problem, and I won't be around my tv boxes to test this until tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure that is your issue.

extlinux.conf