installing OP5 NMVE boot

arturito
Go to solution Solved by balbes150,

I am not sure why it is so difficult. 

Here is what I do to boot from the nvme. 

Install the official orange pi 5 Debian server on a sd card. 

On the command line, sudo orange pi-config. 

Change the boot to nvme. 

Install Armbian on nvme. (use Raspberry Imager) 

Remove sd card and boot from the nvme. 

Waa laa! 

Edited by vandyman

@Paulo da Silva With the Raspberry Pi you're not really installing it but just write an image to a sd, that does also works right away with the OPI. When you bought an Orange pi you should've known that it's fairly new and it's not the same as a raspberry. Then while Armbian makes these devices much more usable and give great support you're complaining here. If you want to complain go to the manufacturers forum, on this forum you could ask for help You're probably doing something wrong and that's what you could expect when you begin with something new. 

"without information on the company's website"??? 

https://orangepinet-5898.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/OrangePi_5_Plus_RK3588_user-manual_v1.5.1.pdf

Especially look at:

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiwiki/index.php/Orange_Pi_5_Plus#How_to_use_the_debugging_serial_port

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiwiki/index.php/Orange_Pi_5_Plus

What's the brand/type of the NVME? and which steps did you take?

@vandyman

Although I did this at the beginning I've learned that dd (Raspberry Imager) to a nvme/ssd is not recommended and you don't need the official Orange Pi image.

With the Orange Pi 5 plus I didn't even had to update the bootloader to make it boot from nvme.

Edited by royk

@royk

Yeah! There is a few different ways to swap the boot loader. 

Sometimes after testing Android on the nvme. The boot system will not let me run Linux again on a nvme. So I keep the Debian cli handy for basic command line. 

Note: 99% of my installs are done with Raspberry pi imager . Erase, burn, done. 

LOL... 

@vandyman That's probably because you write the sd-card image (with bootloader) to the NVME. Android uses a lot of different partitions. I've seen a few times that Ubuntu's disk utility didn't recognize the drive correctly while gparted did.

Yeah it is an easy way to just write the image, for Android images I get it. For backups cp -ra did work well, the Armbian image with armbian-install. One time the bootloader installed to MTD didn't work, that was because the drive was SATA and had to copy it from the Orange Pi GitHub, not sure if that's still necessary.

I can quite understand the frustrations of @Paulo da Silva, even though, it is not the board that is the issue, but the company, Orange Pi, who are next to useless and absent when it comes to support. They show that they are essentially, only box shifters.

Whilst the (very useful) process specified by @vandyman, seems easy, when it comes to changing the boot to NVME, the menu options are written in such a manner that it can be confusing to know exactly which specific option to use. And even then, to then decide to want to boot from USB, the options have to be changed again, which then renders NVME null unless the process is run yet again.

In terms of a solution, based on the line from @royk, 'With the Orange Pi 5 plus I didn't even had to update the bootloader to make it boot from NVME', this would indicate that Orange Pi corrected the boot process for the Plus model, so why not do the same for the prior 2 models?

The original bootloader boot process should have been simple.

1. MicroSD card
2. USB (any port)
3. MVME

That, IMO, would have satisfied most users needs and removed the frustrations.

You could still have options in the config for people to modify that for their specific purposes but having an easy to understand base of priority boot ports was always the way to go.

So why didn't they do it?

Was it because, not unlike their vaunted and much touted Orange Pi OS, which is half baked and (still) half finished, they only put half the effort in to shove the board off the shelves?

All evidence would suggest so.

But with a complete absence of them making any comment, we may never know.

Bottom line right now is that all real efforts are coming from and will have to continue to come from communities and users.

Forget Orange Pi the company as they are nowhere to be seen in any useful and practical terms.

It is somewhat ironic that they have (and were the first), to obtain Platinum support and yet there is no evidence that I can see that they have provided Armbian any service that could be seen to be even close to what might be considered such.

All the promise of Orange Pi the company has become rather tarnished, following them taking an instant and decisive lead in the RK3588 SBC arena.

I am sure that with time we will see more maturity for the SOC and I/O over time, which was always to be expected with a new product but as far as this vendor is concerned, they won't ever get any of my money again because they have shown what they are at a base level.

If a company said hey, we are a box shifter, then you know from the start what you are going to get but when they tell you that their new product and OS combination will change everything and then doesn't even come close , how can they ever be trusted?

Posted (edited)

First of all, thanks for this post! It helped me. 

Sorry to revive an old post but I followed the steps and read in the replies that a boot partition was not needed but I did not see a solution to NOT using the boot partition.

The armbian installer does not copy the boot partition from the SD card so I manually copied the folder data and it am now booting off my NVME.

instead of step 4:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt

// Now copy the sd card boot contents to the nvme. (The boot partition on the SD needs to be mounted)

sudo cp -R /boot /mnt

Then continue to step 5

Edited by Fain
Important typo