Armbian 23.5 Jammy display only on top left corner

datak

Hi, i have installed the latest Armbian 23.5 Jammy on my opi+2e and since then, only the top left of the screen is showing text, like if the screen is divided in 4 and only the upper left is showing login screen and text. If I try to install a desktop environment, everything goes full screen, but I see the mouse cursor of login screen overlapped to desktop, so i have two mouse cursors: one fixed and the other that can be moved. WTF is going on? Why don't you test the images before you publish?

4 hours ago, datak said:

Why don't you test the images before you publish?

I am glad you have asked.

We do a lot of testings, but the task is gigantic and not many people understand the sacrifice that is needed:

A few people can't test 1000+ different features of a Linux system and especially not on different hardware platform. Here we have unique problem, a lot bigger then any other Linux distribution. Which usually just distribute this (our) work. Since our resources are super limited and most of users help is in reporting and complaining problems (mainly useless doubled information), we have to focus to test basic features only. Which are basic you can see in that testing topic. Automated test system - we are looking for help for years (hiring is not possible) - people that have experiences with this to help us setup automated test infrastructure. Which is the only answer to your questions. Still, when things are tested, our team and budget is way too small to address issues that are found. This is something most of end user are unable to understand. 

Small testing is happening daily, while this larger testing is happening at each release, 4 x per year, and it costs us weeks of our private(!) time. Time is money and in several decades, your donations will match the time that is lost in one such event. To give you perspective of your question and an some of the "why" answer.

As we understand not all images will work and we care about you and your precious time, we provide you several viable workarounds! Older images can be downloaded for years back (https://archive.armbian.com/), you can try to build from sources. It is very much possible that bug has nothing to do with our code. As this is open source, anyone can dig in and if you will fix the bug, you will help everyone, Linux community, not us specifically as other distributions are also using Armbian as a base. Armbian is far from perfect, but gift community receives is IMHO beyond reward that is given to developers that provides you this. Even when you have problem with. We listen to you, but we can't help in real time or before you notice as team is too small.

Fixing issues can take a week, a year, perhaps bug will never be resolved, perhaps it already is. People that are fighting thousands of issues found in open source software are scarce resource you should only thanks.

We are in this sh* together.

4 hours ago, datak said:

If I try to install a desktop environment, everything goes full screen, but I see the mouse cursor of login screen overlapped to desktop, so i have two mouse cursors: one fixed and the other that can be moved. WTF is going on?

https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-armbian

This is Linux / open source. Look into logs, ask on forums (you did), ... good luck in resolving a problem you have with open source software. We help best way possible and advise you to start this way https://www.armbian.com/bugs/

43 minutes ago, datak said:

...er ok,  but what's the solution to the problem?

You already have the answer to this question

1 hour ago, Igor said:

https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-armbian

This is Linux / open source. Look into logs, ask on forums (you did), ... good luck in resolving a problem you have with open source software. We help best way possible and advise you to start this way https://www.armbian.com/bugs/

This is open source, you can report the problem and hope someone volunteers their time to research and fix (which is realistically unlikely to happen any time soon), you can dig in and fix it yourself and become part of the solution by contributing back to the open source communities, or you can pay for/hire someone to fix it for you.  Those are realistically the only way things get fixed in open source.

Complaining about something and calling into question the volunteer work others do to provide you something for free, isn't going to motivate anyone to help you.