Orange PI PC Plus + hostapd only 72 instead of 150 mbps

ChAoSWK

Hello,

I am new to orange PIs and got a "OPi PC plus" a few weeks ago.

After some research I found out, that armbian ist the best OS for me :)

In the past I tried with effort to set up a 3G / Lan / WIFI Router with USB / Samba share to have mobile network and files.

It works like a charm, outer that I can not get more than 72.2 mbps to my wifi clients.

Today I had many time to search and first result is, that the neighbor scan will reduce to 20MHz channels because of detected overlapping APs.

With a patched version of hostapd you should be able to set 40MHz channels by overriding the scan.

Infos here:

https://www.brunsware.de/blog/gentoo/hostapd-40mhz-disable-neighbor-check.html

before I patched the two files "h3consumption -p" told me:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"XxX"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Bit Rate:72.2 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

after patching and new compiling hostapd I got

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"XxX"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Bit Rate:150 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

BUT all my clients will not get more than 72.2 mbit, even a 150mbps capable laptop, also a Galaxy S7 edge...

For example, with an x86 wifi router self build both, laptop and phone get 150mbps, so it must not lay on the clients.

I think it must be a driver issue.

Thanks for any help

Dirk

Yeah, single antenna radios are not gonna get you much over 60Mbps using 802.11n, you start with 150mbps divided by two directions (TX & RX) and then subtract overhead, and that is what you get. What does throughput look like on your laptop & phone?

For reference, here is the datasheet on the Orange Pi PC Plus's wireless chipset.

hello,

i can not find any datasheet or pinout about the 8189ftv. do you think there is an unused pin on the ic, where, with some soldering skills it should be possible to add an 2nd antenna?

the weird thing for me is, that ive seen some cheap aps with only one antenna and no onboard antenna where the clients are getting 150mbps brutto. For me it is clear that there is a big gap between of about 50% between brutto and netto data rates in wifi section.

And also In openelec ive seen that this orangepi AS CLIENT is getting 150 mbps. So why not as hostapd?

Thx in advance

EDIT: testet now the netto throughput via usb HDD NTFS mounted and samba - shared. To my laptop I get NETTO between 5.0 and 5.1 Megabyte per second even with 20 and 40MHz channel(ed).

So obviously it makes no effect and you are right - i need a second antenna.

Dirk

Looks like the datasheet got pulled, point is its a 1T1R single antenna chip. There is no extra antenna to be added, or chipset support for this. If you want better wireless, add a better radio via USB, you can get 37MB/s via USB, which can easily feed 802.11n, and do a decent job with 802.11ac. Here are some references for the single antenna support, hopefully they'll survive longer than 5min this time.