upgrade 4.3 => 4.4 failed (BananaPi Pro)

chrisd

Hi,

I just upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 using apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

Unfortunately the device is headless and I don't have a monitor. I cannot login over SSH any more, I get asked for password, but after entering the connection timeouts.

When I mount the SD-Card on my laptop to find out what's going on I found a ~350MB /var/log/kern.log, repeating only these lines:

Oct  9 20:38:26 localhost kernel: [   42.777207] axp20x 0-0034: uevent
Oct  9 20:38:26 localhost kernel: [   42.778709] axp20x 0-0034: uevent
Oct  9 20:38:26 localhost kernel: [   42.779509] axp20x 0-0034: uevent

This is exactly what I updated:

Start-Date: 2015-10-09  20:19:08
Commandline: apt-get dist-upgrade
Upgrade: syncthing:armhf (0.11.25, 0.11.26), linux-image-next-sunxi:armhf (4.3, 4.4), linux-headers-next-sunxi:armhf (4.3, 4.4), linux-dtb-next-sunxi:armhf (4.3, 4.4), linux-jessie-root-next-bananapi:armhf (4.3, 4.4), linux-firmware-image-next-sunxi:armhf (4.3, 4.4)
End-Date: 2015-10-09  20:22:45

What can I do to get the BananaPi starting again?

Thanks, Chris

unsure if it can help... as you cannot login

Igor quite forgot about "u-boot"

my "labomo-r1" card needed the package "linux-u-boot-lamobo-r1-next"

and btw, I don't have "syncthing" package (I am running Armbian vanilla Ubuntu 14.04)

so my package list is

gr@bpi:~$ dpkg -l "*next*"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                           Version                      Architecture                 Description
+++-==============================================-============================-============================-==================================================================================================
ii  linux-dtb-next-sunxi                           4.4                          armhf                        Linux DTB, version 4.2.2-sunxi
ii  linux-firmware-image-next-sunxi                4.4                          armhf                        Linux kernel firmware, version 4.2.2-sunxi
ii  linux-headers-next-sunxi                       4.4                          armhf                        Linux kernel headers for 4.2.2-sunxi on armhf
ii  linux-image-next-sunxi                         4.4                          armhf                        Linux kernel, version 4.2.2-sunxi
ii  linux-trusty-root-next-lamobo-r1               4.4                          armhf                        Various root file system tweaks for ARM boards
ii  linux-u-boot-lamobo-r1-next                    4.4                          armhf                        Uboot loader 2015.07.

syncthing is unrelated, see https://syncthing.net/

I don't think it has a problem with booting, I comes up (I can ping) and also SSH and get a password authentication.

Afterwards the SSH connection timeouts, as it is logging into 3 files at the same time, probably at maximum speed since it gets warm:

/var/log/syslog, /var/log/kern.log and /var/log/debug. All 3 files are roughly 300MB each, then I unplugged it.

Bug was nailed down but packages are not updated yet :( I am working on some other bugs and doing testings @ this moment.

Can't say when things will be done. I hope in a day or two.

A possible fix is a manual install of v4.3, I add a section "How to unbrick a system" to documentation. Follow that and you will be fine. You usually don't need to change u-boot so there is no tip for changing that. I'll ad that too ASAP.

ok, so your banana-pi seems to boot, so I am wrong. Igor replied :)

so it seems there is something wrong with the Armbian 4.4 for you

So? save your sdcard

reinstall the distrib from scratch...

alternate : if you can retrieve the 4.3 armbian packages (linux-{dtb,firmware,headers,image,u-boot}-next-sunxi

extract the files from .deb files and reapply them on the sdcard filesystem