blacklisting via modprobe.d somehow doesn't work

Hi there,

I am trying to blacklist a module by adding 'blacklist rtl2832_sdr'  to /etc/modprobe.d/rtl2832_sdr.conf

I follow this by issuing 'update-initramfs -u' and rebooting.

This is a standard way of doing things on Linux, yet somehow all of the modules continue to show up. 

System is up to date, running on Orange Pi Zero 3, if that matters. I expect this is a bug of some sort, since I saw it mentioned elsewhere here in the forums that this is the way to go, too?

Edited by wrobelda

Hi,

not sure if module blacklisting affects initramfs creation, however it should prevent the module being loaded at boot time. Did you check if this works as expected?

You can try to avoid the module at boot time. Simply add a bootarg to the kernel line like these:

module_blacklist=modname1,modname2,modname3

modprobe.blacklist=modname1,modname2,modname3.

The later allows you to load the module afterwards.

Posted (edited)

however it should prevent the module being loaded at boot time. Did you check if this works as expected?

Not sure what you mean? This is exactly what I checked and confirmed it doesn't work. The module is being loaded after rebooting no matter the modprobe.d blacklisting.

Simply add a bootarg to the kernel line like these:

This is what I did, actually, and that works, but one would expect the standard modprobe.conf/modprobe.d method work, too. Especially since it is mentioned here in the forums as a viable solution as well, so I expect this is, in fact, a bug. 

Edited by wrobelda