Why Rockchip Boxes always seem to force streaming apps to show Full HD in the settings, never 4k??

I realize this is probably a nob question and I am missing something here, but I haven't been able to find any answer to this problem, even though I was digging really hard. Whenever a streaming app allows you to see screen resolution in the settings, in my case it always shows 1080p even though all of my TVs are 4k. Same goes for Kodi, Cpuz also shows 1080p only. It is my 3rd Chinese Rockchp Box (this time HK1 RK 3528), and it has allways been the same, the prevoius ones even stuttered when playing 4k. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just jet another Chinese scam?

Posted (edited)

Your box can't play 4k and  more powerfull boxes neither. The sellers lie about this. You should try with kodi to get the BEST of it. You must configure settings and player settings.

Edited by maka

However RK3528 seems to be ok with 2160p (not p60 by the way). NewPipe plays the video just fine.Many users seem to suggest that standard 4k clips with reasonable bitrate are fine, it is just that the screen resolution is hardcoded in some way onto the device. It's really strange
Ok then, if it's just a lie, then more people should hear about this, since all manufacturers claim these boxes are able to play 4k, I think most users don't even realize, that when they are watching 4k it is actuallu FullHD

The video processor unit can decode your file but the rendering unit (GPU) can't  display it. You can view your file at lower resolution and so you have half of 4k capabilities.  Even at  1080p you get low FPS because the CPU can't resize fast enough. You need rk3588 or mabe rk3576 to view full 4k.

The video processor unit can decode your file but the rendering unit (GPU) can't  display it. You can view your file at lower resolution and so you have half of 4k capabilities.  Even at  1080p you get low FPS because the CPU can't resize fast enough. You need rk3588 or mabe rk3576 to view full 4k.

An rk3566 with stand alone kodi can do the job but librelec or corelec are not  supported for this CPU. Odroid M1 have this on its forum.

First of all, probably you're talking about the stock Android: you're in the wrong place.

We don't discuss here about Android at all, we discuss about Armbian here.

About the technicals, even the cheapest rockchip soc around (rk322x) is capable of driving 4k HDMI panels (but only up to 30fps) and decode 4K H.265 content (only up to 25fps AFAIR), but they are pushed to their limits.

More newer and powerful socs (rk3328, rk3399, rk3528 and rk3566/68/88) should be capable of handle 60fps 4k HDMI panels and decoding 50/60fps content, but then come the optimization issues. Chinese manufacturers advertise what the soc is capable of, but the amount of data involved in 4k 60fps content to be decoded and displayed is huge and if pipeline is not perfectly optimized, you get stuttering and bad performance. Chinese manufacturers don't care at all about optimizations, because optimizing software is a lengthy process and thus costs a lot and they want profit, not costs.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jock said:

Chinese manufacturers don't care at all about optimizations, because optimizing software is a lengthy process and thus costs a lot and they want profit, not costs.

image.png.e488f3f2f9e04f4c7e13d9725a5ae364.png

On 5/21/2024 at 2:48 PM, SadZenon said:

is it just jet another Chinese scam?

Pure android is great, but I think you don't know what you allowing within your network

Don't look at the light, you might end up being an enlightener

Edited by Hqnicolas

36 minutes ago, maka said:

That is not true in my box (checked), but 4k 30 FPS yes. Maybe is possible with a turbo rk3566 (2 ghz)

On what basis you say that? Because your previous assertions about resize and GPU rendering are not exactly right: rockchip (as other vendor socs as well) can use "direct to plane" rendering, which does not use the GPU to render frames at all and resize is done by the VOP itself, not the CPU.

rk3566 video decoder is rated for 4k60fps, you don't need any "turbo" because CPU also is marginally involved in hardware video decoding

17 hours ago, jock said:

rk3566 video decoder is rated for 4k60fps, you don't need any "turbo" because CPU also is marginally involved in hardware video decoding

@jock  your afirmation is 100% righ when we talk about BSP v5.1 and BSP v6.1 with RKVPU enabled,
@maka is a mainline gui talking about using hantro VPU that dont bypass V4L2 and it smashes CPU usage :( 
From what I read about long-term goals to be achieved in the mainline kernel, video decode on Rockcheap devices is not a priority.
It's at these times that I start to recognize Broadcom's efforts. rockchip looks more like a burried corpse

Edited by Hqnicolas