Updating to Armbian 24.5.1

Ikesankom

Hello. I have a Tinkerboard "regular" (without internal memory). My OS is Armbian 23.02.2 Lunar. I tried many times updating to Armbian 23.10 but system always brokes. Previously, I ever can update earlier versions without problems. I post in another topic this problem and finally, a forum member showed me that the problem was that there were no drivers for my internal storage in this version.

So, my hope now lies in whether I can upgrade to Armbian 24.5.1. I also want to upgrade because the audio drivers haven't been working for a long time and I've tried a thousand things described in different forums.
So, in short, how can I upgrade WITHOUT making a new image, as I have always done before?

I've been trying do-release-upgrade -d for days but I still don't get the new LTS version. It's already released, isn't it?

Thank you very much.

34 minutes ago, Ikesankom said:

do-release-upgrade

This is a command provided by userspace and has nothing to do with Armbian. Armbian related packages will be installed

- if available (not the case for Lunar. non-LTS upstream userspaces are unsupported in general by Armbian)

- and if firmware is unfrozen

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/#can-i-upgrade-my-userspace-like-buster-to-bullseye-or-focal-to-jammy

Well, I at least have been upgrading smoothly from one version to another so far.
What is the option I have then to upgrade without having to build a new image from scratch? I've gone into armbian-config, but the only option I've always seen is Firmware (but it has never changed anything).
Thanks

51 minutes ago, Ikesankom said:

What is the option I have then to upgrade without having to build a new image from scratch?

You can try to upgrade your userspace by following official ways from Debian/Ubuntu but make sure to freeze your firmware packages via armbian-config beforehand. Also please don’t blame/complain at Armbian if something goes wrong or have other issues with the upgraded system.

For Ubuntu to say: do-release-upgrade

One thing to mention is that do-release-upgrade usually does not work until the first point release. So retry once Ubuntu 24.04.1 has been released. Currently expected for August 15, 2024

For Armbian updates regular apt update && apt upgrade will be sufficient. If you however want to change your userspace (like Jammy to Noble) this is out of scope of Armbian and upstream tools (like do-release-upgrade in case of Ubuntu) have to be used.

Armbian firmware and userspace are two pair of shoes. Armbian cannot handle userspace upgrades by itself simply due to lacking of both human and financial resources for development and testing lots of various scenarios. This is also the reason why doing this is not recommended and therefore entirely unsupported by us.

If you want to upgrade the userspace flavor on top (like Jammy to Noble for example) it is indeed recommended to start from scratch.

If you want to upgrade the Armbian core components like firmware, kernel and boot-loader, these upgrades are shipped as regular apt package.

On 6/4/2024 at 6:27 PM, Werner said:

One thing to mention is that do-release-upgrade usually does not work until the first point release. So retry once Ubuntu 24.04.1 has been released. Currently expected for August 15, 2024

This last part I did not understand well.

Another question, what are the repositories for sources.list that you recommend to have for Armbian Lunar? I have a suspicion that I don't have the ones I should.
Thank you.

5 hours ago, Ikesankom said:

This last part I did not understand well.

do-release-upgrade most likely will not allow you to update to Noble until this date.

5 hours ago, Ikesankom said:

what are the repositories for sources.list that you recommend to have for Armbian Lunar?

None. Lunar is EOL, repository has been removed.