Rpi5 Armbian bookworm w. Cinnamon

otalado

A while ago (February '24), I downloaded and installed Armbian_23.11.3_Rpi5b_bookworm_current_6.1.68_cinnamon_desktop. It is running OK, and I only have a few issues with it.

One issue is that the vcgencmd is not working. I posted a question about it on the forum and received a reply saying that this would be solved "when possible." However, it is still not resolved. Without this command working, I cannot get the CPU temperature, so I cannot control the cooling fan.

I checked for a newer release today to see if this issue is fixed. I was shocked to see no Bookworm with Cinnamon release available. I'd like to know if it is in the works or has been dropped and will not be offered again.

We cannot afford to provide pre-made images in every kernel-userspace combination for every board. The amount of resources necessary could be just insane. However that is what the build framework is made for so you can choose exactly what you want and build it by yourself.

https://github.com/armbian/build

Ok, I tried to run the build on a Linux PC equipped with the Intel I5 CPU and 16 GB RAM. It failed. So I switched to another PC (Intel I7 / 16 GB RAM. It failed the same way.

On both  PCs, the error was:

[] error! [ Unsupported build system: 'virginia'  ]
[] Exiting with error 43 [ at /home/remote/build/lib/functions/logging/traps.sh:1
                exit_with_error() --> lib/functions/logging/traps.sh:1
   obtain_and_check_host_release_and_arch() --> lib/functions/host/host-release.sh:41
               check_basic_host() --> lib/functions/host/prepare-host.sh:33
    prep_conf_main_build_single() --> lib/functions/main/config-prepare.sh:16
         cli_standard_build_run() --> lib/functions/cli/cli-build.sh:22
        armbian_cli_run_command() --> lib/functions/cli/utils-cli.sh:136
                 cli_entrypoint() --> lib/functions/cli/entrypoint.sh:176
                           main() --> compile.sh:50
 ]

In desperation, I tried to run the build on RPI5. It seems that it works, but who knows how long will it take with just 8 GM RAM ...