Orange Pi Zero 2+ H3, start with USB OTG in dual mode

araczkowski

recently I installed the Ubuntu Desktop on Orange Pi Zero 2+ H3

the Orange Pi Zero 2+ H3 device has only one micro USB OTG port

during the first Armbian installation this port should be in dual mode -> power of course and in my opinion the second mode should be a HID gadget (g_hid)

in this case we will be able to plug the keyboard via some micro USB hub and setup the system

unfortunately this doesn't work like this and right now the installation process isn't so ease

now the questions begins -> is it possible? Any clue how to do this?

Thx

PS

I was able to do the installation because I have Orange Pi Zero Expansion board which is compatible with Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H3 (confirmed with Xunlong)

1 hour ago, araczkowski said:

unfortunately this doesn't work like this and right now the installation process isn't so ease

There's a serial console available on the Micro USB port just with every other device lacking Ethernet that's supported by Armbian. So connect the device to an USB3 port of a PC running Linux or a Mac (USB3 is important since these ports provide 900mA and not just 500mA) and then do something like this after waiting 60 seconds

minicom -D /dev/cu.usb* -b 115200
screen /dev/cu.usb* 115200

And you're in (this was for OS X, on Linux the device name might look different and I've absolutely no clue at all how that works with Windows).

TL;DR: The additional investment in Xunlong's $2 Expansion Dock is pretty smart when buying any of those Orange Pi Zeros.