Building Armbian Distribution with Kernel 6.10 for Orange Pi 5 Pro

Hi everyone!

I recently bought an Orange Pi 5 Pro and decided to install kernel 6.10 on it, as I wanted to take advantage of the new drivers available in this kernel. I found that the [Orange Pi 5 Pro page on the Armbian website](https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-5-pro/) offers distributions with kernel 6.1, but not 6.10.

After trying to install kernel 6.10 via `armbian-config` on an already installed system, I encountered an issue: the system stopped booting.

### Questions and Requests for Help

1. **Support for Kernel 6.10 on Orange Pi 5 Pro**:
   - Am I correct in understanding that kernel 6.10 is currently not supported for my board?
   - Does anyone have information on whether support for kernel 6.10 for Orange Pi 5 Pro is planned in the future?

2. **Possibility of Installing Kernel 6.10**:
   - Is there any way to install kernel 6.10 on the Orange Pi 5 Pro? Has anyone already faced this challenge and can share their experience?

3. **Building Armbian Distribution with Kernel 6.10**:
   - I want to try building the Armbian distribution with kernel 6.10 from source. Can anyone share the configuration and instructions for compiling kernel 6.10 suitable for the Orange Pi 5 Pro?
   - What steps need to be taken to successfully build and install the kernel on this board?

If anyone has successfully built kernel 6.10 for the Orange Pi 5 Pro or has additional tips, please share! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice! I hope my experience will be useful to other Orange Pi 5 Pro owners.

### Additional Information

Just in case, here is the link to the [Armbian page for Orange Pi 5 Pro](https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-5-pro/).

Thank you!

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

OPi 5 Pro is not yet supported for 6.10 kernel and if you want it supported someone has the board needs to add its DT tohttps://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/patch/kernel/archive/rockchip-rk3588-6.10/dt. If you're interested in making the board work in mainline you can take https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/patch/kernel/archive/rockchip-rk3588-6.10/dt/rk3588s-orangepi-5.dts devicetree as reference. You need to adjust regulators, some devicetree nodes, properties etc.

Moved post to Community Maintained/Staging as this board is a Work In Process and not yet supported.

Note:  The typical way a new board gets introduced to Armbian, is the first step is to bring it in with the 'vendor' kernel.  Which is getting what the board manufacturer released building under Armbian.  Normally the board manufacturers don't support the OS for their boards so whatever gets released is likely never to be updated to anything newer.  And often the linux kernels they use are heavily patched and not close to mainline linux.  Then once that step is completed, the community (both Armbian and many others) work to incorporate all the custom code into mainline linux where hopefully it will be maintained going forward.  That can sometime take years and sometimes it never really happens as the board manufacturers rarely contribute to this (they move on to the next board and don't want to incur any costs to maintain older boards).  It also is rare that everything that worked under the vendor kernel will work under mainline (at least not for a long time).  And for all of this to occur there needs to be people willing to give of their time to volunteer to do all this as no one financially supports the ongoing maintenance of most SBC boards.

You need to adjust regulators, some devicetree nodes, properties etc.

Is there any info what exactly is needed for armbian? When I take a look at decompiled dtb it had about 2500 lines of code, in metioned dts are only about 700 lines. Thank you