Orange Pi Plus 2e not working - red LED flashing twice

Harry_W

I received my new Orange Pi Plus 2e and tried to set it up. I already got an Orange Pi PC2 running so it's not really something new to me. I used the latest Armbian images (desktop and server), flashed them to my SD card (with Etcher) and plugged it into the Pi. The green LED lights up and the device seems to be working. To this point it's the same as on my PC2.

But after ~1min the red LED starts flashing twice over and over and nothing seems to be working. I get no signal over the HDMI out and the LED keeps flashing. I flashed the SD card three times to make sure it's not a flashing error. I tried the desktop image twice and the server image once. It always ends with the flashing red LED 1 minute after starting the device.

It is not an SD card issue, the card is working fine in my computer and the Orange Pi PC2. It is also not a power issue, the power adapter works fine on my Orange Pi PC2. I also tried the PC2's power adapter on the Plus 2e, same result - flashing red LED.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Or does the flashing red LED have anything to do with the eMMC of the Plus 2e? As far as I know the system should run from the SD card until I transfer it to the eMMC myself. I tried waiting for a couple of minutes in case the flashing red LED means the eMMC is being flashed. But after a while I gave up and unplugged the power.

Does that flashing red LED mean I got a broken Opi Plus 2e or am I doing something wrong here?

27 minutes ago, Harry_W said:

The Opi PC2 is working fine on the same monitor.

This doesn't mean anything (unless you are talking about non-Armbian images on PC2) - H3 legacy kernel supports a limited number of resolutions and requires manual setup for HDMI-DVI adapters, while H5 mainline uses EDID data to set up the video mode.

Still, did you try connecting via SSH or serial console?

I can connect via ssh, so the device is at least working now. Where do I find information on how to setup the HDMI out? I'm not using an HDMI-DVI adapter, my monitor has native HDMI inputs.