Docker port mapping issues on Orange Pi 5 plus (fresh debian minimal install)

Go to solution Solved by Dragon,

Hi,

After a fresh install of the stable Debian minimal/IOT image, creating the first user and switching to it, then installing the docker environment results in a non-functional docker.

To be more precise everything seems to be running, only a few oddities, when installing docker, like being stuck on some steps (socket related) for way too long, then eventually carrying on and finishing with no errors... (instructions used to install docker)

Also when the system reboots at least a minute has to pass with no CPU or any other observable utilisation for any docker container to automatically start.

all of the above would be fine and I would chalk it up to a slow(er) system doing things... but the main issue is that port mapping does not work, the containers are only accessible when choosing "network_mode: host" (where obviously port mappings are discarded).

I am writing this in the Armbian forum because I have installed the docker (following the same instructions) on x86 debian (amd64), on Armbian on an Orange Pi R1 Plus LTS on a Rpi3 (Raspberry pi 64 lite) and orange pi zero 2 as well and they installed and are working flawlessly. (all installs were done in the past days)

I have applied the "update-alternatives" instructions that were listed on the page for the Rock 5 (using the same CPU) but that resulted in no difference.

" In case you need to run Docker:

update-alternatives --set iptables /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy
        update-alternatives --set ip6tables /usr/sbin/ip6tables-legacy

"

I am hoping that this is something easy to fix or obvious for an experienced user, as I ran out of ideas as to what the culpirit could be...

https://paste.armbian.com/mekanuceli

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Dragon

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Posted (edited)

Thank you I have updated the post with the log link and also corrected the rpi3 as it was used with a raspberry pi 64 lite image...

the other images were also minimal/IOT images.

The images used are:

- x86 was a debian dvd install without GUI (debian-12.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso12.6.0 amd64)

- OP5: Armbian_24.5.5_Orangepi5-plus_bookworm_vendor_6.1.75_minimal

- Orange Pi R1 Plus LTS: Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.399_Orangepi-r1plus-lts_bookworm_current_6.6.40_minimal.img

- RPI3: raspbian image --> Raspberry Pi 64 Lite

My understanding is that tehere are 2 version of the armbian for the OP5+. 1 with Desktop interface (Nobel Gnome) and one without which is the minimal/IOT version. the others are Ubuntu based or Bleeding edge only. (I have also tried the bleeding edge, with the exact same results)

Would you recommend a specific image to use?

Edited by Dragon

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Quick update... installing the Armbian 24.5.5 Noble Gnome image and then the docker environment results in a working docker setup, so without knowing the root cause, the minimal/iot image has something to do with the issues...

I have disabled the desktop environment and will be using this image.

Edited by Dragon

10 hours ago, Dragon said:

without knowing the root cause

We fixed one known bug two weeks ago. If you tested older images, then this is it. It only affects minimal images.
https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/6990

17 hours ago, Dragon said:

I have applied the "update-alternatives" instructions that were listed on the

That is not needed on kernel 6.1 ->

Posted (edited)

Hi Igor,

thank you for confirming.

How can one check if this fix made into the available image? (Armbian 24.5.5 Bookworm Minimal / IOT - Kernel: 6.1.75, Size: 233.5MB, Release date: Jul 24, 2024)

( :) based on testing it hasn't made into the above image, but just wanted to check)

Thank you

Edited by Dragon

Posted (edited)

Thanks again, for the clarification, I reinstalled the minimal/IOT image and checked the /etc/netplan/10-dhcp-all-interfaces.yaml file and it had the 'name: "*" ' value, so in short, the fix did not make it into the 24/July/2024 image..

Do I have to re-run something, as changing the value straight after install and rebooting, then installing things did not seem to solve it...

Thanks in advance

update:  the changes I made to the "/etc/netplan/10-dhcp-all-interfaces.yaml" file were picked up, as per the below output, but unfortunately made no difference.

dragon@orangepi5-plus:~$ cat /run/systemd/network/10-netplan-all-eth-interfaces.network
[Match]
Name=e*

[Network]
DHCP=yes
LinkLocalAddressing=ipv6
IPv6PrivacyExtensions=yes

[DHCP]
RouteMetric=100
UseMTU=true

I will try to edit the file on another machine (externally) before the first login to see if that makes any difference. if this fails I will fall back to use the desktop image and disable the desktop environment as I will be running this board headless.

Edited by Dragon

final post.. changes did not do anything regardless of whether I made them before I even booted the system for the first time or straight after creating it and restarting.

I resorted to deploying the system based on the desktop image.

22 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I resorted to deploying the system based on the desktop image

OK, then its something else apparently. We'll keep an eye on it, but if Ubuntu based variant just works, use it. There are no Canonical services in it so its more similar to Debian then regular Ubuntu for desktops, just better as packages are a bit more recent, more polished.

Posted (edited)

@Igor:I just installed the latest available stable build Minimal/IOT image for the Orange Pi Zero 2 and it exhibits the same issue. (Armbian_24.5.3_Orangepizero2_bookworm_current_6.6.31_minimal)

Docker networking only works with "network_mode: host".

Port mappings are not working at all (in bridge mode) the docker log does not throw any obvious errors, apart from complaining that it can't connect outwards (internet) and you can't connect to any mapped ports.

"/etc/netplan/10-dhcp-all-interfaces.yaml" has the same " name: "*" " that you suggested before...

The version I have been using before that, which was working without a hitch is: Armbian_24.2.1_Orangepizero2_bookworm_current_6.6.16

As I only need to host one docker, that will be internally used I will stay with the latest version for now, so if there is any testing you would need to do, I can help you with it.

Edited by Dragon

36 minutes ago, Dragon said:

just installed the latest available Minimal/IOT image for the Orange Pi Zero 2 and it exhibits the same issue. (Armbian_24.5.3_Orangepizero2_bookworm_current_6.6.31_minimal)

That is the latest stable build, not the latest release.  Go to the very bottom of the downloads page for the nightly/rolling releases for the latest.