[odroid xu4+cloudshell] first tests with "hardkernel" images

Hello,

FYI for prospective on Odroid XU4, testing images for XU4 (I also have a Cloushell (mini NAS including LCD display))

desktop image link folder

Ubuntu 14.04.1 : ok, upgrade to 14.04.3 ok, upgrade to kernel 3.10.92 ok, upgrade to odroid final kernel 4.2.0 DEAD

Ubuntu 15.04 : DEAD after reboot (kernel 4.2.0)

It seems the image with kernel 4.2.0 just removed "journal" feature of ext4 on startup, so at next reboot, the ext4 fs is dead. trying to fix the SD card on a amd86 Ubuntu gives error like "/usr/sbin" dead, filesystem is garbage :(

server image link

ubuntu server image is not usable, dead after first reboot (kernel 4.2 ?)

archlinux image

using kernel 4.2 3.10.92 (existing 4.3/4.4-rc1 general kernel - untested)  pretty ok after rebooting. Only drawback, everything is to be installed, I don't know much of archlinux tools.

edit :

Do not install odroid-cloudshell package, it really breaks the filesystem after reboot.

edit2:

in fact, kernel 3.10.92 make the ethernet interface (USB=>ETH) no longer working. It seems the drivers is "closed" sourced

edit3:

looking at images maybe

edit4:

ArchlinuxArm seems stable, kernel is old. but image is fine after reboots over and over.

pacman is pretty cool!

Edited by wildcat_paris

quick update (2015/11/27)

the Odroid XU4 is running Archlinux ARM as for now with kernel 3.10.92 (ok it is creepy)

more ARM generic 4.2/4.3/4.4-rc2 are online, won't test it so far, testing what I can get of the hardware.

The XU4 is able to compile thunderbird 38.4.0 with lightning (with ccache) on a SSD, quite powerful.

FYI

switch back a while from a 15.04 hardkernel rootfs, upgraded to Ubuntu 15.10

gr@odroid:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.10.92 (root@xu-b1) (gcc version 4.6.4 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.4-6ubuntu2) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 17 00:15:24 BRST 2015

Got my 32GB eMMC module, cloudshell (nas) working (cloudshell screen not tested so far)

+ a separate SD card let me boot to make a backup of the eMMC

Stable

let's see

odroid)#enabled
                        #description Exynos5422 XU3/XU4 octa core
                        #build 3wip
                        LINUXFAMILY="odroid"
                        BOOTSIZE="16"
                        BOOTCONFIG="odroid_config"
                        MODULES="ethernet wlan_8723bs bonding"
                        MODULES_NEXT=""

I made one image but I don't know why is not booting. I have to construct level convert to be able to use a normal serial console. I forgot the fact it uses different voltage logic.

You have serial console?

Igor,

Nope. I did not get the cable to have the serial console, my bad.

Considering they send from UK with Fedex... and Fedex has been a PITA for xu4 and cloudshell, I have ordered the eMMC module from Hardkernel directly (UPS which is better at delivering but paid VAT TAX toll from South Korea to France) forgetting to order the cable as well... :-(

edit:

I mean this "cable"

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G134111883934

looking for something compatible, odroid needs 1.8V logic not 3.3V+

I might order this cable for 6€

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AF3948B6XWFHI/ref=pdp_new(sorry in French)

One comment mentions using it with Odroid + Mac, adding do not connect the VCC red cable, it might break your card

By spec, PL2303HX can handle 1.8V depending on the implementation (some only do 3.3v+) => too risky...

EDIT

ordered hardkernel cable in South Korea (10 USD + 16 USD for shipment + toll fees if any), with odroid.co.uk it's 15€ + 22€ shipment

Edited by wildcat_paris

@Igor

it seems the image boot / reboot

I have tried SSH (then the session stops)

login as: root
root@192.168.1.15's password:
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Server refused to set environment variables
You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)

Welcome to ARMBIAN (Debian wheezy 3.10.93-odroid)

Changing password for root.
(current) UNIX password: