Banana Pi M1 no video output with current armbian images

Go to solution Solved by Igor,

Hello!

I've downloaded the current images for BananaPi M1 offered in the site, as "Community Maintained" builds, but none of them is capable of producing video output from HDMI nor composite video.

Both the Ubuntu jammy and Debian12 versions lose the video output as soon as the kernel starts to load, after the u-boot screen. I tried the desktop and server images, without any luck.

With the older 5.x kernel, the ubuntu-jammy image that I've downloaded before loads fine.

I know it's an old board, but it still gives me some amusement time tinkering with it and playing retro games.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Thanks!

• Solution
1 hour ago, Igor Peruchi said:

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

We keep several oldies in the automated testing facility and Cubietruck is almost identical to Bananapi M1 and it works perfectly well:
https://github.com/armbian/os?tab=readme-ov-file#cubietruck

I would put my bet on wrong / not sufficient powering. Which is still there and those (old) topics are still valid.

1 hour ago, Igor Peruchi said:

I know it's an old board

Old boards are fine! I have several boxes of them and might sent them to a museum one day ;) We are just too small team / project to face with several hundred different devices. Old boards should, in theory, works well, but silent (as nobody monitor / maintain them) regressions comes to the code.

I hope someday dedicated retro hardware section emerges on Armbian forums and further prolong life of those devices. We did / do what we can ...