Status of Cubieboard A80

lazerdye

Cubieboard A80 is under watch but unfortunately there are just too little people working on it. It was on my desk today and quickly went back in the drawer since I figured out I can't boot mainline u-boot just like that. It would require to sum up all the patches and maybe, maybe it will be possible to boot and than further to kernel 4.x I'll try again in the next few days. You can check the status:

http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

https://linux-sunxi.org/Mainline_U-boot

Old 3.4. kernel for those board hasn't changed much since it was released and it's complete waste of time to deal with it.

Ahaa, That is true, but the main problem is you can not boot it with stock uboot. There is also no support in mainline uboot. You can boot in only in Fel mode and not much things work. Afaik

Wrote on mobile phone

I check this article seems like mainline u-boot was updated. Also from sunxi: 

The current U-Boot release (v2015.10) fully supports major functions (except NAND) on all the older Allwinner SoCs (A10/A10s/A13/A20/A23/A31/A31s) and has basic support for the more recent A33, A80 and H3.

What is meant basic support? And how old kernel can boot? Can I use CC-A80 u-boot from here?

CC-A80 is stock old u-boot and that one doesn't support mainline boot. Basic supports means (in short) that it's not done yet. More concrete (SPL) is non existing so you can't boot kernel. I have a Cubieboard 4 around and would be happy to see it booting into mainline but am not skilled enough to fix this.

Thank you Igor!

I will try to send those information to Cubietech. Maybe they have any idea how to fix it.

I am almost sure they have no clue. Yes  :(