USB 3.1 HDD not found (2bay 2,5" Raid1)

oxymoron

Hi,

when I connect my external HDD - an Icy Box IB-RD2253-U31 (http://www.raidsonic.de/products/external_cases/soho_raid/index_en.php?we_objectID=3239) - to my Bananapi M1, running ARMBIAN 5.31 (stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 4.11.6-sunxi) the hard disk is not found. This is regardless of the HDD setup chosen, at least I tried with the two disks inside configured as JBOD as well as RAID1.

After connecting the USB HDD, dmesg doesnt show any output, lsblk doesnt show it.

Is there anything I can do about it to get it working, is it a firmware issue?

According to datasheet an ASMedia ASM1352R is used as bridge chip (no personal experiences so far). At least the datasheet nowhere mentions backwards compatibility to USB2.0/1.1 (Full-Speed, Hi-Speed, both use different physical data lines than USB3 SuperSpeed/SuperSpeed+) so there's a little chance that only the SuperSpeed data lines are exposed by either the type B receptacle or the cable. If neither dmesg nor lsusb show anything when the enclosure is connected and externally powered then you should ask their support for further advise.

2 hours ago, debianxfce said:

Product specs does not list Linux support so maybe there is no driver in the Linux kernel.

Impossible with 4.11 (and USB is a standard for a reason so you don't need a driver for this and that since storage devices are either accessible via old MassStorage protocol or in this case also UAS). The listed OS compatibility 'Windows 7 or higher, MAC OS X 10.5 or higher' is somewhat weird since proper USB3/UAS suppport came with OS X 10.8(.2) and if this device would be SuperSpeed(+) only due to Apple's policy to not provide old OS X versions on new hardware OS X minimum requirements would've been 'OS X 10.8.2' (no idea about Windows and USB support).

@tkaiser thank you for bringing light this, that's really interesting insights into USB. I was always wondering what the point of USB would be, if it was not compatible to any OS.

I'll check with the vendor support - at least the website claims "USB 3.1 up to 10 Gbit/s - Backwards compatible to USB 3.0/2.0/1.1"

On 23/08/2017 at 8:30 AM, tkaiser said:

Impossible with 4.11 (and USB is a standard for a reason so you don't need a driver for this and that since storage devices are either accessible via old MassStorage protocol or in this case also UAS). 

There are a lot of usb devices in the linux kernel that have their own driver. If you see nothing with dmesg, there is no driver. USB RAiD is a special device.

On 24.8.2017 at 7:34 PM, debianxfce said:

There are a lot of usb devices in the linux kernel that have their own driver.

Yeah, every USB host controller needs a driver, every USB device class needs drivers, special USB accessed devices might need special drivers and from time to time with somewhat broken hardware even quirks need to be added.

If you see nothing with dmesg, there is no driver

Well, then I don't understand this standard and the meaning of U in USB any more ;)

BTW: never happened to me, every exotic device Linux can not deal with (eg. the devices I calibrate displays with) show up in both dmesg/lsusb once a connection could be negotiated.

USB RAiD is a special device.

As already said: I have no personal experiences with ASMedia ASM1352R (since I try to avoid these '2 drives, one host connection' devices) but usually these thingies having a dip switch allowing for 4 modes expose just a single device to the host when using RAID modes. The only interesting question usually is how these thingies behave if you configure them to use 'JBOD' mode ('SINGLE' called in this case: the mode that allows you to access each disk individually).

For USB storage we have two protocols and this one here is even advertised as being UAS capable. How should there be driver issues?

Edit: Check last lsusb output here to get an idea about classes vs drivers.

On 24/08/2017 at 10:08 PM, tkaiser said:

Yeah, every USB host controller needs a driver, every USB device class needs drivers, special USB accessed devices might need special drivers and from time to time with somewhat broken hardware even quirks need to be added.  I have no personal experiences with ASMedia ASM1352R

There is no special or broken drivers under CONFIG_USB_STORAGE. You can not assume anything if you do not own a  device and there is no documentation.

FYI, for months, this device used to work on raspbian, out of the box. Bad news: I updated my rpi in August to latest kernel; Now the device is no more recognized:

$ dmesg | grep -i usb
(...)
[    4.570616] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[    9.710644] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[   25.070672] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[   25.290662] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
[   30.430701] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[   45.791348] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[   46.011364] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
[   56.552375] usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 6, error -110
[   56.652388] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 7 using dwc_otg
[   67.193006] usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 7, error -110
[   67.193160] usb 1-1-port3: unable to enumerate USB device

Note that the device is also not recognized on a laptop running an up-to-date Archlinux, with more or less the same errors (from one of the uhci modules). It works on the same laptop running Windows.

Since my knowledge of raspbian is limited, I've not been able to find what was the version of the running kernel; I'll keep you informed in case I make progress. I've tons of data on this drive and must get them back (Windows is not a solution since I used dm-crypt...).

1 minute ago, martinayotte said:

Simply do the command "uname -a", it will tell you which kernel you are running ...

I know but what I'm looking for is the version that was running in July... I'll should find this from /var/log/dpkg.log...

By the way:

$ uname -a
Linux whale 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

I've downgraded most packages to versions from early august but the device is not recognized... Some config may explain that, no idea :-(

$ uname -a
Linux whale 4.9.28-v7+ #998 SMP Mon May 15 16:55:39 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Stupid idea but.... You could try anotherbusb cable? Better if shorter than actual one.

I use to get these not accepting address errors on my 4 y.o. phone, which has become really special with microusb cables due connector wearing.

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk