wifi support for Orange Pi Zero Plus?

XZiar

I am using Orange Pi Zero Plus(http://www.orangepi.org/OrangePiZeroPlus/), but there's no armbian for it.

I download armbian for Orange Pi PC2(here) and it works! However, PC2 does not have on-board wifi, so my zero plus cannot find a wlan device.

The onboard wifi of zero plus is Realtek RTL8189FTV, and the driver source seems to be this

I compile it on my orange pi and add "modprobe mac80211" before "insmod", it is loaded but there is still no wlan0 device

Module                  Size  Used by
8189fs               1118208  0
mac80211              380928  0
cfg80211              274432  2 mac80211,8189fs
rfkill                 28672  2 cfg80211
sun8i_codec_analog     28672  1
sun4i_codec            49152  3
ir_lirc_codec          16384  0
snd_soc_core          147456  2 sun4i_codec,sun8i_codec_analog
lirc_dev               20480  1 ir_lirc_codec
snd_pcm_dmaengine      16384  1 snd_soc_core
sunxi_cir              16384  0
rc_core                32768  4 ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,sunxi_cir
snd_pcm               102400  2 snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_core
snd_timer              32768  1 snd_pcm

So what should I do to enable wifi?

33 minutes ago, XZiar said:

So what should I do to enable wifi?

You need a device-tree entry correctly defining mmc1 (SDIO attached Wi-Fi, needs maybe a regulator to be powered). Still no schematics released so you would need to either look through this mess whether you find anywhere correct Zero Plus settings (be it fex or DT) or you download one of the 'official' images and look there for .dtb files that need to be decompiled using dtc tool (device-tree-compiler package).

16 hours ago, tkaiser said:

or you download one of the 'official' images and look there for .dtb files that need to be decompiled using dtc tool (device-tree-compiler package).

I do have official image downloaded, but its kernel is 3.X and I didn't find any dtb file in /boot.

It seems that dtb was introduced in linux 4.X(mainline) and fex was used in linux 3.x(legacy)?(I am new to linux)

I find that bin2fex can convert .bin back to .fex, however I am not sure where is the "script.bin"

I also downloaded the android img for zero plus, but I cannot open/extract it yet

If it's similar to H3 boards this should work:

'bin2fex /boot/script.bin /temp/orange.fex'

From there going further with 'nano /tmp/script.fex' to read it (never did it with 'official images').

Edit:  Shame on me,  completely forgot that H5 bsp kernel is 3.10.x not 3.4.x.

2 hours ago, XZiar said:

I do have official image downloaded, but its kernel is 3.X and I didn't find any dtb file in /boot.

3.X is 3.10.65? If that's the case Xunlong still relies on Allwinner's crappy H5 BSP (making use of sys_config.fex being translated to device tree and most probably only somewhere on an initramfs accessible). Most people who touched the H5 BSP once last year came to the conclusion it stinks and is not worth the efforts.

So better push Xunlong to release schematics since then it's easy to add the necessary bits to a mainline .dts for OPi Zero Plus. Maybe an alternative: check /proc/device-tree for a mmc1 node.

9 hours ago, tkaiser said:

3.X is 3.10.65?

It's 3.10.65 ………

9 hours ago, tkaiser said:

Maybe an alternative: check /proc/device-tree for a mmc1 node.

I found /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/__symbols__/mmc1

It's content is below:

/soc/mmc@01c10000

and mmc1_pins_a

/soc/pinctrl@01c20800/mmc1@0

By the way, cpufreq is missing on ZeroPlus(running armbian). According to this , I execute   

zgrep CONFIG_REGULATOR_AXP20X /proc/config.gz

and it returns

CONFIG_REGULATOR_AXP20X=y

but still no cpufreq.

here's the result of lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by
ir_lirc_codec          16384  0
lirc_dev               20480  1 ir_lirc_codec
sun8i_codec_analog     28672  1
sun4i_codec            49152  3
snd_soc_core          147456  2 sun4i_codec,sun8i_codec_analog
snd_pcm_dmaengine      16384  1 snd_soc_core
sunxi_cir              16384  0
snd_pcm               102400  2 snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_core
rc_core                32768  4 ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,sunxi_cir
snd_timer              32768  1 snd_pcm
sch_fq                 20480  2
tcp_bbr                16384  8

I found sun50i-h5-orangepi-zeroplus.dtb  in /boot/dtb-4.11.1-sun50iw2/allwinner, but I am not sure if it is being used

1 hour ago, XZiar said:

I found sun50i-h5-orangepi-zeroplus.dtb  in /boot/dtb-4.11.1-sun50iw2/allwinner, but I am not sure if it is being used

I tried to modify armbianEnv.txt and manually set fdtfile to sun50i-h5-orangepi-zeroplus.dtb

But after reboot I cannot connect to it through ssh, so I had to change it back.