Samba Problem

IsortedIT

I have an odd problem with a Orange Pi Zero H2+  512mb     I have samba setup with share all correctly BUT my windows XP pc cant see the share name at all unless I search for the IP then under the IP I can setup share maps on my PC and all is good.   However I have tried 4 different Windows 10 PCs now and they cannot see either the server name or even the IP to get the shares :-(  even though I can ping the server (OP-zero) IP address and get a perfect response.   I am tearing my hair out here I need this to work on Windows 10 for a small server project I am working on.    Also the exact same PCs CAN see the Shares and server easy with the exact same setup with Ubuntu 16.04 server on an old PC which leads me to think there is a problem with the samba code in Armbian :-(    

Any help would be good right now.  It would be good even if I had to setup the shares via the IP but win10 cant even see it via IP :-(

Note:-   Yes the work groups are the same.  Yes i have Encrypt password set to YES   Also it works 100% fine on my Galaxy S5 Samsung Android phone with a file explorer program ?  

Below is my smb conf file if needed

smb-conf.txt

5 minutes ago, IsortedIT said:

there is a problem with the samba code in Armbian

That's not possible :)

Armbian is a build system creating also OS images that rely on either Debian Jessie, Stretch or Ubuntu Xenial. All normal packages are coming from these distributions (applies to Samba too of course). So in case you use a brand new Windows release and try to combine this with a horribly outdated Samba release (Debian Jessie flavour) then some problems might occur. I would check which distribution you use (that's not Armbian but either Jessie or Ubuntu) and then do a web search for 'win 10 $distro samba not visible'.

Hard to tell what's going on or what the differences are compared to your other Xenial box. I've also not the slightest idea how recent Windows versions behave as SMB clients (I touch Windows only in the server variants from time to time).

You could provide 'sudo armbianmonitor -u' output in any case so others might look into. In case you've two networking connections active on the Zero (Ethernet and Wi-Fi) this might be part of the problem. You could also fire up 'smbclient -L lala -I $ip-address' from both of your Linux hosts scanning each other to get an idea about differences.

i wiped the sd and loaded on the dev version of debian for the pi zero the one on the right hand side.  Then setup samba again from scratch and I get the same problem   My windows XP  machine cant see the server name but if I put in the IP it will browse to the server and then I can map shares across.   Windows 7 and above will not even find it via IP address or server name.   Android finds it via IP just like windows XP does. So does all of the linux distros I have tried. Again it has to me by IP though the name is not being served out for some reason :-(   My old pentium PC that has ubuntu 16.04 server on work fine on ALL machines IE. win XP and win7 and up to win10 :-(     

Here is the armbianmonitor -u   log         http://sprunge.us/COcG

Cant see that helping but hopefully someone can see the problem.    I still think its one of two things either the way eth0 on the pi zero is used is non standard or there is a bug in the software somehow.

23 hours ago, Naguissa said:

I'm using it at a Banana Pi M1 without problem, take a look here at smb.conf code: https://www.foroelectro.net/electronica-digital-raspberry-y-otros-socs-f9/nas-casero-barato-y-bajo-consumo-con-un-soc-banana-t162.html#p332

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Unfortunately I have the Orange Pi not Banana Pi so hardware could be the problem here.  I have also seen it working on the original Raspberry Pi with no problems.   Thank you for the reply though :-)

Unfortunately I have the Orange Pi not Banana Pi so hardware could be the problem here.  I have also seen it working on the original Raspberry Pi with no problems.   Thank you for the reply though :-)

Still, did you check conf file?

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Ok just wiped the sd card again an put on Raspbian_server_For_zero_H2+_V0_1.img    for the zero  and guess what the exact same problem :-(   I really am starting to think they way the pi zero implements Eth0 on the hardware side could be a problem.   I have built so many of these servers based on junked PC's and never had a problem like this.  :-(  I wanted to do it with a zero because of size and power saved but its looking at them moment like its not going to be possible.

Just got it working on the Raspbian   by changing the server name to lower case "fireball" from upper case "FIREBALL"  then restarting both smbd and nmbd services NOW it showing the server name quirky or what.   Now to go back to the ubuntu image and try it on there :-)

Will let you all know the outcome :-)

There is hope yet :-)

Maybe a little bit late, but did you ever thought about building an OMV image for your OPi (2 links)? IMO, configuration over web interface is easier than fiddling around on console (I do most of the things on console, but definitely to lazy to do configure users and their rights on console :P). 

3 minutes ago, chwe said:

Maybe a little bit late, but did you ever thought about building an OMV image for your OPi (2 links)? IMO, configuration over web interface is easier than fiddling around on console (I do most of the things on console, but definitely to lazy to do configure users and their rights on console :P). 

I love doing stuff via the console though as I find if you use gui's too much you get forgetful on how to use them LOL  Thanks anyhow though :-)

just for you... :P 

ARMBIAN 5.31 stable Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 3.4.113-sun8i freshly installed on opi0, sudo apt-get install samba-common samba --> sudo smbpasswd -a <username> + set password followed by a reboot.

samba.jpg.fc0731e53e9f1178d03f6f822d41a92e.jpg

windows 8.1 (was to lazy to get my free win10 :P).  So, it should be possible.. Maybe something gets wrong in your config? Do you have home versions of windows? (I've in mind that this ends sometimes in a mess).

Edited by chwe
one minute too late.. :D

ok fresh install done just like that and guess what it does not want to work.    No switch back to raspbian again and transferring all my config files to that and its working great EVEN on Windows 10   I just do not know why its so quirky. LOL   I prefer the Ubuntu  image as the leds are green for power on unlike raspbian which is red but hey this does work for me

Completely crazy I know :-(

At least this seems to be working for now :-)

The RED led would be the smallest problem... (I think you could change that if you fiddle a little bit around). Raspian from orangepi.org? Can you type once uname -r? I'm quite sure it would show something like 3.4.39 kernel. 

Further you should test (with a non root user):

echo "rootmydevice" > /proc/sunxi_debug/sunxi_debug

I don't know if they fixed it, but if not this should give you a hint why I would never use a OPi with a OS provided from their web page. Don't get me wrong, I'm a 'proud owner' of multiple oranges. :P Their boards are nice (OPi0 can be a little bit bitchy since rev. 1.4), but their own software support isn't.

On 31.8.2017 at 7:23 PM, IsortedIT said:

I need this to work on Windows 10 for a small server project I am working on

I've no clue where you'll use this server but I'm quite sure that you don't want a potentially rootable samba server in the middle of your samba clients.  :P

Ok now this get real weird.    All was wroking great until i went to put a fixed IP on the eth0 setting when I noticed the wifi was connected via dhcp.     SO i turn off the wifi and put the fixed ip on eth0   and bang no name over netbios again :-(    

So for a test wiped the sd card and put the standard ubuntu one back on that i had save as an image with all my configs in.  Then enabled the wifi over dhcp and BOOM I get the netbios name and can connect on any windows even Windows 10        I shut the wifi off again and it losses netbios again.   so I go into the settings on eth0 and change that to dhcp  but force my router to give it the same fixed IP ever time. then reboot and the one dit that i mapped still works now with the wifi off and just over eth0    I cant figure out why if i put a fixed ip in the settings using  NMTUI that it shuts down transmitting the netbios server name.     Not sure if this is a quirk with the way eth0 is handled or something else.   Obviously the wifi works but it is far slower than eth0.  

Can anyone else shed some light on all the craziness  :-D

This is a known issue between win8/10 SMB and samba 1/2 (not 3).

Samba 1 used lm authentication, samba 2 uses ntlm1/2 and later samba uses more modern (and stricter) security.

To access older samba on win10  goto - secpol.msc | Local Policies -> Security Options
Change (or create) the value of "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" to: "Send LM & NTLM responses"

(if using a home version of win10 you can download the secpol.msc from micro$oft)

bye.