Nightly Armbian_5.33 Debian Stretch for Odroid C2 had no USB Audio Support

dsdreamer

Hi,

My first time attempting to use a nightly image in an attempt to get away from the legacy kernel. I installed Armbian_5.33.171007_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.13.5.img on my C2, and it booted up just fine. Unfortunately, my primary use case for this hardware is a music streamer (and server), requires the ability to use Class 2 USB Audio, with (relatively) high-end USB DACs.  I was unable to get the USB DAC to be recognized at all (did not show up in the ALSA devices listed by aplay -L, nor was it listed by lsusb.) 

I immediately reverted to the official Debian image running 3.14.79-odroidc2, and all was well again. As you can see below, my Teac USB is now listed (and working)

charles@odroidc2:/etc$ lsusb 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0644:8043 TEAC Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

My main problem with 3.14 is that it pegs the CPU at 100% with a kswap thread if the machine gets close to running out of physical memory. Mostly, that doesn't happen, but when I build certain software using parallel Make, it completely locks up the machine.   I notice the swapiness is set to 0 in /etc/sysctl.conf, which some people recommend to minimize the chances of the kswap process getting out of control.

So, I would really like to move up to a 4.x kernel, and require very few devices to work since it will be a headless music server.

Are the recent nightly builds for the C2 configured with snd-usb-audio support? If not, can they be?

Charles.

1 hour ago, dsdreamer said:

Are the recent nightly builds for the C2 configured with snd-usb-audio support? If not, can they be?

You can and you should actually do it on your own. Start here: https://docs.armbian.com/Process_Contribute/, recompile the kernel and supply adjusted kernel config. If this sounds a bit too complex or you don't have the infrastructure, you need to wait that it's added. It's yet another task on our very long task list.

7 hours ago, Igor said:

You can and you should actually do it on your own. Start here: https://docs.armbian.com/Process_Contribute/, recompile the kernel and supply adjusted kernel config. If this sounds a bit too complex or you don't have the infrastructure, you need to wait that it's added. It's yet another task on our very long task list.

Certainly, I can do that.  However, I may not want to go to that trouble if there are known issues that are preventing its inclusion. Are you aware of any such problems? 

1 hour ago, dsdreamer said:

if there are known issues that are preventing its inclusion.

In most cases, it's safe to enable such 3rd party hardware drivers. They are enabled in other kernel packages while this particular kernel is in the phase of making. Problems are with lack of low-level support for this (Amlogic) chip. If USB is working ... in theory it should work everything that is plugged in.

10 hours ago, Igor said:

In most cases, it's safe to enable such 3rd party hardware drivers. They are enabled in other kernel packages while this particular kernel is in the phase of making. Problems are with lack of low-level support for this (Amlogic) chip. If USB is working ... in theory it should work everything that is plugged in.

Thanks, I will give it a try then. :-)

Okay, so now I have the following (built with CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=y) waiting to be installed:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    158840 Oct  9 23:04 linux-dtb-next-odroidc2_5.33_arm64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     61986 Oct  9 23:04 linux-firmware-image-next-odroidc2_5.33_arm64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  10418170 Oct  9 23:05 linux-headers-next-odroidc2_5.33_arm64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  16771962 Oct  9 23:06 linux-image-next-odroidc2_5.33_arm64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 306415102 Oct  9 23:07 linux-source-next-odroidc2_5.33_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    241136 Oct  9 21:44 linux-u-boot-next-odroidc2_5.33_arm64.deb

Can I just dpkg -i these from a bash shell running armbian on my C2? Does it matter whether I have Jessie or Stretch installed when I do this?

Charles. 

On 10/10/2017 at 6:58 AM, dsdreamer said:

Can I just dpkg -i these from a bash shell running armbian on my C2? Does it matter whether I have Jessie or Stretch installed when I do this?

dpkg -i *.deb seems to have worked (on a Debian Stretch image)

Linux odroidc2 4.13.5-odroidc2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 9 22:59:17 PDT 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Using this self-built kernel, USB audio is working fine, but I noticed the nightly builds seem to have it working too now!