Missing nanopi m3

viking

6 hours ago, Igor said:

This cheap buck converter is also not good enough to rule out underpowering

Hmm, I have all 10 of my sbcs running off similar Chinese dc-dc converters. The higher powered boards have a V meter permanently attached to monitor the supply and are rock solid. They are more stable if you keep the input supply within a reasonable factor of the output voltage - I provide 12V on the high side (from another buck converter) rather than feeding the raw 18-20V from the laptop PSUs that I use.

I tried Armbian last week but got stuck at the same point. [Ok disclaimer, before I get chastised for using micro-USB power (albeit from a good 5V/2A source).]

Thing is though, I can power it fine that way running FA's build of Debian with all 8 cores crunching away 100% on BOINC, which I am doing now still.

hey james... i got one here in poland from a site: https://botland.com.pl/

dont know if they ship outside of the country....

Edit1:

hey nbbro.... so urs is working fine?

Edit2:

hey igor, i think i tries 4 diff sd cards... same story with all of them...

Edit3:

hej james what are running on it?

Edited by chwe
merged your posts... to keep it readable.

56 minutes ago, viking said:

hey igor, i think i tries 4 diff sd cards... same story with all of them...

Sorry, I don't know much about this board and we don't support it. It was just added to the system, I made two builds, it was working ... next day it was put aside. The man behind kernel is https://github.com/rafaello7 ... you might try contacting him. It looks like you can talk in your native language :)

can u get 1080 on it? i got debian working too... only at 720... well i got ubuntu core to run as well... but have not had the time to play with it yet.

when i tried playing 1080 video on youtube... the board shutdown on me...

I saw there were more kernel updates since our latest image rebuild, so I enabled nightly images building for this board. Check for them in a few hours from now: https://dl.armbian.com/nanopim3/nightly/

There is much better to try getting this modern kernel to work than staying on old - never updated and deserted by developers - kernel.

hey tnx for all ur time... i will b returning the board to the shop... what would recommend for video playback with some overlays running in a browser.... ie: playback video... and display some info at time events... i need something to build for a local kids tech club... tnx

and... now that i got something running... board shuts down when playing video... so i set the clock to 1.4 ghz .... and when doing just OS stuff it stays ok for hrs... but then when video kicks-in... few seconds and it shuts down... but not into restart... but OFF... with power connected it dose not restart.... pressing reset does nothing... unplug/plug only...

update: i might not be returning the board back... (nanopi m3) so i set supply voltage to 5.7v .... and now 1080p video runs flawlessly... and the board is not shutting down... desktop res is still at 720p so the video overshoots... but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

but igor on those sd cards... u r correct i got a more expensive card and stuff started to work...

now those that did not work were all 8gig class 4 cards... all of them started to have bad sectors... now it could not

be so out of the factory... did using them some how cause the damage? i mean just the booting process or r/w ops

in the m3?

1 hour ago, viking said:

but igor on those sd cards... u r correct i got a more expensive card and stuff started to work...

now those that did not work were all 8gig class 4 cards... all of them started to have bad sectors... now it could not

be so out of the factory... did using them some how cause the damage? i mean just the booting process or r/w ops

in the m3?

I told you so mate.. change the SD cards and use etcher..

PS. you must have a C10 (Class10) card at least..

1 hour ago, viking said:

did using them some how cause the damage?

All (consumer grade) SD cards are crap. They were not designed for such usage and don't last long. I have quite a selection of broken cards around, two of them are one of the best. They died in few months. I am using them for testing, which means they are really stressed and were sacrifised for science, to make Armbian better :) ... one I burned with running a torrent server. Few weeks and ... 50 EUR was gone in the wind :( I forgot that it is not smart to run a torrent server on an SD card.

how about running OS from sd card and... stuff u serve or "work with" on a usb drive?

this might be stupid question... but can these boards be booted from usb ?

11 hours ago, Christos said:

I told you so mate.. change the SD cards and use etcher..

PS. you must have a C10 (Class10) card at least..

u were correct... i did not expect a card to shit its pants in just 3 or 4 boots...

anybody got a tool read temp. and v levels on m3? i got lm-sensors and not detecting....

7 hours ago, viking said:

anybody got a tool read temp. and v levels on m3? i got lm-sensors and not detecting....

and... reps for new chromium on deb? i need browser with ECMA6

how about running OS from sd card and... stuff u serve or "work with" on a usb drive?

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-nand-sata-usb

In most cases, you still need SD card for the bootloader.

lm-sensors and not detecting

Temperature readings can be in nonstandard places on those boards or not done at all. It depends on which kernel do you use. IIRC readings are OK on the modern kernel, while for the old kernel I do not know. I only booted it once and will never boot it again.

and... reps for new chromium on deb? i need browser with ECMA6

On our desktop images is preinstalled - with all possible memory caching, but no video or GL acceleration. On other builds is usually not.

over 24 hrs running at 5.7v .... and solid as rock... wires are cool :) heatsink is cool to touch...

IMG_20171023_200524.jpg

8 hours ago, Igor said:

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-nand-sata-usb

In most cases, you still need SD card for the bootloader.

Temperature readings can be in nonstandard places on those boards or not done at all. It depends on which kernel do you use. IIRC readings are OK on the modern kernel, while for the old kernel I do not know. I only booted it once and will never boot it again.

On our desktop images is preinstalled - with all possible memory caching, but no video or GL acceleration. On other builds is usually not.

good stuff... i was not much for reading instructions kinda guy... most of my life... ;)

@viking: Just wondering, now that you've got it flashed on a good SD card, if you powered the board by micro-USB instead of the headers, would it still be able to boot up or still get stuck at the U-boot screen?

Just a note of warning for anyone finding this thread later; 5.7V is very high for the supply voltage, be cautious about going that high. I run all my boards at between 5.20 to 5.25V, including an M3. Usually when people report needing higher voltages for stable running it's because they are using long power cables of small guage which drop significant voltage across their length, but I see that's not the case here.

Friendly Arm released a replacement for the M3 called the Fire3. It's smaller and uses a micro hdmi connector, but otherwise is very similar to the previous board (1G ram, no emmc). There's also a new version of the T3 which uses the same excellent SOC but has 2G ram and 16G emmc, but costs twice as much.