NanoPi Neo 1.31

mockingbird

I recently received my kit, which consists of the Neo, heatsink, and acrylic shell.

Installed Debian_jessie_default.7z with Etcher onto a Kingston SDCIT/8GBSP.

PCB 1.3+ uses a more sophisticated voltage regulator than earlier revisions...    The temperature is excellent so far (only 40c).  I can run some more tests if someone provides instructions.

So these boards do not in fact require a heavy copper plane for heat dissipation.

I did use a superior heat pad rather than the one that is provided with the heatsink kit.  Ideally, you would want something like a 4mm or so copper shim with good quality thermal paste applied to both sides.  I also considered thermally coupling the RAM to the heatsink but decided not to.

I am running Webmin with Apache and PHP for some very basic web server functionality (media relaying server).

All-in-all, I'd highly recommend the Neo if you need a simple headless server.  This was my first experience with a development board, and it was a good one.

Cheers

Some time ago I also ordered a NanoPi Neo, because the Neo2 in my 2nd silver FriendlyArm-NAS case has to be in the black little Aluminium-cube with OLED-Display :)

Now the NanoPi Neo V1.31 reside in my 2nd NAS-Case.

He is running ARMBIAN 5.34.171121 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.13.14-sunxi with the SAMBA-Server installed via the armbian-config Softys.

In the Case he shows:

CPU temp:      46°C

The 100MBit Ethernet isnt fast for a NAS - but I do get around 8-11MB/sec - thats OK for 100MBit :)

Sounds good.

I locked myself out of Webmin last night and the SSH isn't accepting the default password, so I'll have to access it via serial console (It's not made perfectly clear in the documentation, but you need a serial to TTY converter for this to work).  I already used the console for the initial install so I know that it works perfectly (Use something like ExtraPutty in UTF-8 mode to get a nice colorful console).

My next step will be to apply the latency kernel patches...

Thanks for mentioning armbian-config.  I'll definitely have to install that, as it looks like it offers similar functionality to confconsole from Turnkey LAMP, and I was missing that.

1 hour ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks for mentioning armbian-config.  I'll definitely have to install that, as it looks like it offers similar functionality to confconsole from Turnkey LAMP, and I was missing that.

normally armbian-config is already installed with armbian....
If not then you could it install in armbian with

apt install armbian-config