Draghtnod

Hi everyone,

i bought an OrangePI PC Plus as a Lab computer to google stuff and watch Youtube.
I tried Debian_stretch_next_desktop_nightly.7z, nice desktop, but i figured that compiling the mali driver is a pain.

Then i tried Debian_jessie_default.7z, installed xfce4, modprobe mali works out of the box but i seems like X11 doesn't utilize that.

So how do i get youtube going smoothly in the most painless manner?

Thanks a lot!

8 hours ago, Draghtnod said:

So how do i get youtube going smoothly in the most painless manner?

By downloading Ubuntu legacy desktop version and using external ytplayer or similar external players. They can work with HW acceleration while browsers does not support HW acceleration. It also won't work on your self-installed xfce4 since you need video acceleration drivers.

MALI has nothing to do with video acceleration. It is a 3D engine useful for gaming, running KODI user interface/menus etc.

Alright thank you! That worked. VLC utilizes VDPAU to hardware decode the video. Drawing it via X11 video output (XCB) does even circumvent the scaling bug (but using software scaling tho).

It all feels a but clunky, having to copy the video url. Also firefox doesn't launch (seems to be a known problem).

Is there a way to render the desktop via OpenGL? Through a Compositor maybe? That should speed things up a bit, right?

37 minutes ago, Draghtnod said:

Is there a way to render the desktop via OpenGL?

AFAIK no. None of those board has OpenGL but some light/limited version called OpenGLES.

Anything from what you see now is not well developed except there could be plugins for the browser(s) which would redirect URL to mplayer which plays accelerated video. There is also some application/youtube browser which is little better and executes mplayer by default.