Orange pi PC -- can't set a static ip

parsable

Hi Everyone.  I expect I'm making a simple mistake here, but I'm pretty new to this and could use some help.  I am trying to set a static ip address on an orange pi pc running armbian Jessie 5.36.  I want a static ip to set up an nfs between multiple boards.  I've done this before on debian desktops, but this time I'm getting errors.  I have tried multiple ways (editing the /etc/network/interfaces, nmtui, nmcli) without success.

For simplicity, here's a version of what I'm doing.  I start with a clean install.  The Opi connects to my router fine.  I add and update all the packages I need, then use nmtui to change the name of the network connection from "Ethernet Connection 1" to "Ethernet1".  I try to set the static ip with this command:

nmcli con mod Ethernet1 ipv4.address 192.168.1.100 ipv4.method manual connection.autoconnect yes

This command does not produce any errors.  I reboot, and the static ip address does display on the boot screen and /sbin/ifconfig.  The problem is that any commands that need the network now give the error "Network is unreachable."  Route -n is not empty, so I think I have a route out, but obviously I'm missing something.  I can restore the network connection by setting the method back to automatic but as soon as I set it to manual I get this error.

Any ideas?

10 minutes ago, parsable said:

nmtui to change the name of the network connection from "Ethernet Connection 1" to "Ethernet1".  I try to set the static ip with this command:

nmcli con mod Ethernet1 ipv4.address 192.168.1.100 ipv4.method manual connection.autoconnect yes

The problem is that any commands that need the network now give the error "Network is unreachable."

Any ideas?

you got the same problem with the IP as I when using the Text-GUI of nmtui :)

For the IP add /24 to set the subnet (255.255.255.) because if you didnt append the /24 you got a subnet of 255.255.255.255 and this is only your Orange-pi :)

Additionally you should set a gateway!!?

How about the following?:

$ nmcli con mod Ethernet1 ip4 192.168.1.100/24 gw4 192.168.1.1 
$ nmcli con mod Ethernet1 ipv4.dns "8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"

gw4 is you gateway (should be the ip address of your router)