2 2
sgjava

User Space IO is Python 3 and Java 8 bindings for user space GPIO, SPI, I2C, PWM and Serial interfaces

https://github.com/sgjava/userspaceio

After a lot of work and testing I have produced the User Space IO project! It provides Python 3 and Java 8 bindings for Linux user space GPIO, SPI, I2C, PWM and Serial interfaces. This allows cross SBC and cross language development using a common API. I took two best of breed C APIs for Linux user space libgpiod and c-periphery and produced CFFI bindings for Python and JNA bindings for Java. Since all the bindings closely match the C API it's easy to move from language to language. The side effect of using the Java library is that it should work with many different JVM based languages. How about creating your programs in Kotlin or Scala for instance?

GPIO access uses the new gpiod interface and not the deprecated sysfs interface using libgpiod v1.1 (head from git repo). GPIO, SPI, I2C and serial interfaces expose all the low level functionality. I have added some helper methods for handling repetitive functions like building I2C messages, reading words from two registers, etc. You can of course go as low level as you need to. Please use Github to post any issues, pull requests, etc. I have tested Nano Pi Duo for 32 bit and NanoPi Neo +2 for 64 bit compatibility. I'll test more SBCs as I have time. Also, I have deleted https://github.com/sgjava/libgpiod-extra since User Space IO supersedes it.

Based of some of the questions I had in the past please note the following:

• gpiod_ctxless_event_loop_multiple can handle GPIO interrupts
  • Miscellaneous GPIO request flags GPIOD_LINE_REQUEST_FLAG_OPEN_DRAIN, GPIOD_LINE_REQUEST_FLAG_OPEN_SOURCE, GPIOD_LINE_REQUEST_FLAG_ACTIVE_LOW
  • Non-root access using rc.local.

Demo program using hardware PWM to flash LED: