Lamobo R1 - ARMBian 5.00 - No IP for SSH connection

miguipda

Hi,

I just saw ARMBian has been upgraded to 5.00 version.

Then I though to check if my initial problem (for my first ARMBian test with the previous 4.5 version) could be solved with this new version :

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/616-lamobo-bpi-r1-network-issue-sudden-reboot-quick-usb-uart-how-to/?hl=miguipda

What I encounter now with the 5.0 is a Lamobo R1 seems stable because no blinking green led.

Just keep the red led switched on and wan with lan usable (I may contact website like you now ;-)  ). Even with the connected harddrive.

But...

As my modem has the IP 192.168.1.1 and says that two IP are distributed with DHCP I saw the 192.168.1.4 is my computer IP but when I try to ping the 192.168.1.2 (that could only be the Lamobo R1) I got an IP unreachable error.

Then why the router seems to get an IP (192.168.1.2) and can contact the modem and allow a computer to access internet if it could not be reachable by a simple ping then access it with a SSH ?

How could I get the real received (Lamobo R1) IP address (if a simple ping 192.168.1.2 could not answer) ?

Sincerely thanks.

Hi,

sorry to answer so late but I am refurbishing my house and then juste have some short period to test and answer.

With 5.00 (legacy) do not have a good display in the Putty terminal. I got a lot of caracters composed with white and black pixels with sometimes a letter.

Then it does not means anything.

Previously in the 4.5 version I got a text scrolling to down and let me at least login.

Now I do not what to do. I tested to enter the root and its password because I hoped it could go further but it was not the case.

Then please tell me what to do to be able to log in by using the TTL/USB to access what you asked /etc/network/interfaces

Sincerely thanks.

Have a good night.

But...

As my modem has the IP 192.168.1.1 and says that two IP are distributed with DHCP I saw the 192.168.1.4 is my computer IP but when I try to ping the 192.168.1.2 (that could only be the Lamobo R1) I got an IP unreachable error.

Then why the router seems to get an IP (192.168.1.2) and can contact the modem and allow a computer to access internet if it could not be reachable by a simple ping then access it with a SSH ?

How could I get the real received (Lamobo R1) IP address (if a simple ping 192.168.1.2 could not answer) ?

Please correct me where I am wrong. I'm putting up a lot of guesses, because it might save us some time in finding out what's going on and why. A lot of these guesses might be wrong - this is intended.

I assume that by "modem" you mean "router".

Can you provide some details on your hardware connections ?

Eg. I would expect that you have your internet connection from a box that is connected directly to your ISP; let's call that the 'modem'.

If this box has more than 1 RJ45 connector, then it might be a combined modem+router.

If it has only a single RJ45 connector (and perhaps TV connector and RJ11 connectors too), then it's probably just a single 'modem'.

If you have your computer connected directly to this box, and you have another device (the Lamobo R1) connected to it too via a separate RJ45 socket, then try swapping the two connectors. If your computer still connects to the internet, then we're sure it's a router.

If your Lamobo R1 is connected to the 'modem' and your computer is connected to the Lamobo R1 and not the 'modem', then I am absolutely confused, because as I understand it, Armbian wouldn't default into being a router as far as I understand.

I assume you wrote an unmodified image to an SD-card and booted your Lamobo R1 from that card.

After starting your Lamobo R1, did you do any setup/configuration ?

-If not, your Lamobo R1 is expecting you to log in as root and register a user-account.

-If you did set it up, how did you log in - via serial interface ?

I think you have approximately 3 or 4 fairly easy options:

1: Log in via SSH (go to your router's web-page and find the IP address of your Lamobo R1, then use this IP-address for the SSH session)

example:  ssh 192.168.1.2 -l root

password is 1234 the first time you log in; you will be asked to change it before you continue.

2: Log in via the serial console. If you have a PC and you have a USB-to-UART (eg. CP2102 module from eBay), then you can connect the module to the UART0-RX, UART0-TX and GND pins on your board and you should be able to communicate with the board if you have a console-version of Armbian [i have not tested this]. DO NOT TRY TO CONNECT YOUR PC'S SERIAL CABLE TO THE BOARD, YOU WILL FRY (DAMAGE) THE  BOARD!

3: You can connect a USB-keyboard to the Lamobo R1 and HDMI-cable from the R1 to a monitor of your choice. The monitor needs to have either a HDMI connector or DVI connector. You can use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter if the monitor has a DVI connector.

4: If you have Linux on a PC, then you can take out your SD-card and insert it in a USB-to-SD/MMC adapter (eg one of these from eBay) and you can mount the file system, make a backup-copy of /etc/network/interfaces on your PC, then set up your /etc/network/interfaces to use a static IP address, save the file and put the card back into the Lamobo R1 and boot it.

Note: The eBay links I've added are to some items that I have tried a bunch of and they're working well. Furthermore they're dirt-cheap. It takes a long time for them to arrive, but I have the impression that time is not the issue for you, so I recommend that you just order a couple of each now (it's quite useful to have some in the drawer, so they're ready for when they're needed). I use a microSD-to-SD card adapter with the microSD cards, otherwise you can't use the mentioned USB-to-SD/MMC adapter; you'd have to find an alternative, but do not buy any of the "tiny" or "slim" ones; they are no good or they disconnect/unmount when they get hot (this one or this one might be good alternatives, but I have not tested them).

Dear Jens Bauer,

thank you to ask me to confirm my hardware because I realized (you right) I misused one word when I was talking about my modem.

As I previously used "single modem" to which my previous ASUS WL-500g Premium router was connected to it now I changed all those hardware.

Let me correct what and how am I connected to internet.

ISP  ->  Modem/Router (Sagem F@st 3464)  ->  Lamobo R1  ->  Linux computer

There are no phone nor television connected to the ISP. There is just a Laptop.

The Modem/Router has the 192.168.1.1 IP Address

The Laptop got (DHCP) the 192.168.1.3

Both are reachable by ping and internet could be reach

But if I ping the 192.168.1.2 or .4 because I hoped the Lamobo R1 got one of those IP Address I did not had a contact to them.

Then all your proposal 1 to 3 could not be done because :

1. I can not login in SSH because I can not find the Lamobo R1 IP Address

2. I used a USB/TTL as proposed by wildcat_paris and followed its connection instructions. On Putty I got a scrolling text on the 4.5 ARMBian version but now with the 5.0 it was not the same. I got many caracters fill in with white and black pixels (like one shown at position 7x - xB on this table) and randomly a character appears.

Then I can not connect to Lamobo R1 because it did not displayed something usable.

3. I use a portable then I do not have anymore a keyboard and HDMI display.

4. That is perhaps the best idea. I was so concentrated to try finding a solution I did not though about this. I will take a cup of coffe to wake me up ;-)

I will try it and see what will happend. Check if I keep internet and check if I may ping it (and also the modem/reouter on 192.168.1.1) without problems.

I will let you know what has happend.

Have a nice day and a good week-end.

Miguipda ;-)

P.S. : Here is my current /etc/network/interfaces (linked to /etc/network/interfaces.default)

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
#    hwaddress ether # if you want to set MAC manually
#    pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 3838 # setting MTU for DHCP, static just: mtu 3838
#
# Wired adapter #2
#auto eth1
#    iface eth1 inet dhcp
#    pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 3838 # setting MTU for DHCP, static just: mtu 3838
#
# Wireless adapter #1
#auto wlan0
#    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
#    wpa-ssid SSID
#    wpa-psk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
# to generate proper encrypted key: wpa_passphrase yourSSID yourpassword
#
# Local loopback
auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

ISP  ->  Modem/Router (Sagem F@st 3464)  ->  Lamobo R1  ->  Linux computer

But if I ping the 192.168.1.2 or .4 because I hoped the Lamobo R1 got one of those IP Address I did not had a contact to them.

If you can find the "DHCP Statistics page" on your router, it might be able to show you what IP addresses are connected to it.

2. I used a USB/TTL as proposed by wildcat_paris and followed its connection instructions. On Putty I got a scrolling text on the 4.5 ARMBian version but now with the 5.0 it was not the same. I got many caracters fill in with white and black pixels (like one shown at position 7x - xB on this table) and randomly a character appears.

Then I can not connect to Lamobo R1 because it did not displayed something usable.

This might be a baudrate mismatch (it sounds very much like it) - make sure your terminal (on the PC) is set up to 115200 baud, 8, N, 1.

P.S. : Here is my current /etc/network/interfaces (linked to /etc/network/interfaces.default)

# Wired adapter #1

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

#

# Wired adapter #2

#auto eth1

#    iface eth1 inet dhcp

#

# Wireless adapter #1

#auto wlan0

#    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

#    wpa-ssid SSID

#    wpa-psk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# to generate proper encrypted key: wpa_passphrase yourSSID yourpassword

#

# Local loopback

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

Here's a shortened version of mine on the CubieBoard2 (I haven't set up my Lamobo R1 yet):

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
#	iface eth0 inet dhcp
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 10.0.1.3
		netmask 255.0.0.0
		gateway 10.0.0.1

# Local loopback
auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback

-Your configuration file would probably need to be something like ...

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
#	iface eth0 inet dhcp
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.250
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		gateway 192.168.1.1

# Local loopback
auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback

-Eg. netmask differs and your DHCP range would probably conflict with the static IP range if the IP is too close to the beginning. Often home-routers are set up to reserve the first 40 or 64 IP-addresses for DHCP (sometimes more; it depends on the router's firmware and the vendor's behaviour).

If you succeed in using a static IP, you might be able to configure your router to your own preference, but the important thing right now is to get it up and running. ;)

See page 37 in the BBox2 Manual for information on how to set up the DHCP pool - it appears that it's set up to the range 192.168.1.2 ... 192.168.1.254 by default.

You're quite lucky. The manual for the BBox2 is pretty well written.

Maybe the following static IP setup on your Lamobo R1 would be better:

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
#	iface eth0 inet dhcp
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.2.1
		netmask 255.255.252.0
		gateway 192.168.1.1

# Local loopback
auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback

I've changed the subnet mask, because then the IP 192.168.2.x would be on the same subnet as your DHCP pool (192.168.1.x).

I think that 192.168.0.x, 192.168.2.x and 192.168.3.x could be used for static IP addresses if the above works.

Dear Jens Bauer and others,

you right with the bad speed used in putty that generate bad caracters (white and black pixels).

By using it at the good speed 115200 it gave me a comprehensive text (part of it here below).

I used the last here above recommended static IP setup where I forced the static 192.168.2.1.

After having display a lot of systemm informations it gave :
ethernet@01c50000 Waiting for PHY auto negociation to complete ........ TIMEOUT!
ethernet@01c50000: No link.
missing environment variable: pxeuuid
missing environment variable: bootfile
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/01-03-c9-03-42-36-97
ethernet@01c50000 Waiting for PHY auto negociation to complete ........ TIMEOUT!

Then it continued with Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000000
from eight zeros to only one zero : Retrieving file: pxe.cfg/0
Always with TIMEOUT!

Then it tried with : Retrieving file:
pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-sunxi
pxelinux.cfg/deafult-arm
pxelinux.cfg/default

Then after still telling :
Config file not found

it just returned a prompt like this :
=>

and typing help gave me a lot of command

Internet could be contact (like now) but always the same situation :
modem/router keep the gateway default IP Address 192.168.1.1
the laptop got the IP Address 192.168.1.3

But I can not know if Lamobo R1 got an IP ADDRESS because nothing could be returned by pinging the 192.168.1.3 or even the 192.168.1.4

As the laptop got a 192.168.1.x IP I know trying to ping the /etc/network/interfaces forced IP Address could not work but I tested to be able to confirm you that it  did not work too (I know this is normal).

Then I was not able to try a SSH connexion. And I did not find any command line in the give shell => to try knowing it IP Address

What could I still try to help you understand what happends and be able to go further with this Jessie ;-)

Thank you all of you for your precious time and your help.

Hi miguipda.

Now we're talking!

Dear Jens Bauer and others,

you right with the bad speed used in putty that generate bad caracters (white and black pixels).

By using it at the good speed 115200 it gave me a comprehensive text (part of it here below).

I used the last here above recommended static IP setup where I forced the static 192.168.2.1.

After having display a lot of systemm informations it gave :
missing environment variable: pxeuuid
missing environment variable: bootfile
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/01-03-c9-03-42-36-97

Then it continued with Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000000
from eight zeros to only one zero : Retrieving file: pxe.cfg/0
Always with TIMEOUT!

This is normal. PXE is network boot, so this is expected, as I'm pretty sure you didn't set up a netboot server. :)

But I can not know if Lamobo R1 got an IP ADDRESS because nothing could be returned by pinging the 192.168.1.3 or even the 192.168.1.4

As the laptop got a 192.168.1.x IP I know trying to ping the /etc/network/interfaces forced IP Address could not work but I tested to be able to confirm you that it  did not work too (I know this is normal).

I think you can know that the Lamobo R1 got an IP address if you type some simple command on the command-line.

Try for instance ping 192.168.1.1 (from the Lamobo R1, so the Lamobo R1 will ping your router).

If it succeeds and sees your router, the Lamobo R1 *will* have an IP address.

To find your IP address, there are several options. The most universal one is probably to use "ip addr show". You could simply enter ...

ip addr show

... or if you know your subnet always starts with 192, you could filter it through grep:

ip addr show "192\."

... or slightly better (for all private subnets):

ip addr show | grep -e "192\.168\." -e "10\.0\." -e "172\.16\."

... if the reply of the above command is one line, which looks like this one ...

inet 10.0.1.3/8 brd 10.255.255.255 scope global eth0

... then you've found your Lamobo R1's IP address.

Then I was not able to try a SSH connexion

If you've successfully found your IP address, then it's time to see if your SSH server is up and running. Try this command:

top -b -n 1 | grep ssh

Note: 'top' is a good utility, which you need to be familiar with; you can use it to see what processes (programs) are currently running and you can monitor how much CPU time (and other resources) they are using.

Likewise, 'grep' will save you hours, days, weeks or years of time (depending on when you start using it). One could wish for a 3D version of grep. ;)

Now, if the SSH server is not running, you will not be able to SSH into your Lamobo R1.

If it is running, however, then you should be able to SSH into your Lamobo using the following command:

ssh 192.168.1.2 -l root

-Of course, you'll need to supply the IP address you found earlier.

It is highly recommendable that you use static IP addresses for your computers on your LAN; especially for those that are not laptops or portable devices.

Eg. boxes that run any kind of server should really have a static IP address, otherwise you'd have to figure out the IP address every time your would need to copy a file to / from for instance your file-server.

Using DHCP for a server would be worse than having nternet without domain names. ;)

Dear Jens Bauer,

from you all instructables here above when you start to tell me I may try to see if the given shell could contact the modem/router at the IP address 192.168.1.1 I regret to tell you that :

1) I explained I got an unknown shell that appears with only those two character "=>".

2) when I tried a simple ping to the modem/router at 192.168.1.1 here is what I got :

=> ping 192.168.1.1

ethernet@01c50000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete ......... TIMEOUT !

ping failed; host 192.168.1.1 is not alive

=>

Then I tested with 127.0.0.1 and I got exactly the same error except it talked about 127.0.0.1

As I saw a command line called version (when I launched the help command line to see all the available commands) I got :

U-Boot 2016.01-armbian-sun7i (Feb 10 2016 - 20:22:20 +0100) Allwinner Technology

arm-linux-gnuabihf-gcc (Ununtu/Linaro 4.8.2-16ubuntu4) 4.8.2

GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.24

Then it let me believe I am still in the U-Boot and not further in the ARMBian (Jessie Legacy) operating system.

This was why I talked about an unknown shell kind.

So what could I do now to go further ?

Sincerely thanks ;-)

from you all instructables here above when you start to tell me I may try to see if the given shell could contact the modem/router at the IP address 192.168.1.1 I regret to tell you that :

1) I explained I got an unknown shell that appears with only those two character "=>".

That of course makes sense. Silly me, I didn't read carefully enough.

I believe that the shell you see is the 'emergency boot shell'; typing 'help' should list a bunch of commands.

I have virtually no experience regarding working with this shell, so I hope that someone with more knowledge will be able to kick in and offer some suggestions.

Since 'ping' reports timeout for the loopback interface 127.0.0.1, I strongly believe that you do not have a valid network connection and therefore SSH will not be available.

Stepping a bit back and looking at it, I have the impression that your system fails to boot properly.

It sounds to me that if you've somehow told it to boot from the S-ATA drive, it seems that the attempt to do so have gone wrong,

-Or ... If you're booting from SD-card, the SD-card boot might simply be plain broken.

Have you modified the files on the SD-card or is it a straight copy from the image ?

-If you have an empty SD card, try writing the image again and attempt to boot from this new card (unless you've done so several times already).

Dear Jens Bauer,

three things :

1) when you said : "Since 'ping' reports timeout for the loopback interface 127.0.0.1, I strongly believe that you do not have a valid network connection and therefore SSH will not be available."

That is exactly why I explained here my problem to not having SSH connection and no IP address.

2) I used the perfect Jessie Legacy image burned on a new SD but ...

I changed the /etc/network/interfaces.default to which /etc/network/interfaces is linked to it. I will check the rights to see if they are the same as the default installed when I burned the armbian image on the SD card.

3) your idea that could try to boot to the attached HDD (on the SATA port) let me remember I need to test it again without the HDD and perhaps it will solve (in part the boot problem).

I will do it during the week-end and will come back with the results.

Have a ncie day and thanks for your help ;-)

three things :

1) when you said : "Since 'ping' reports timeout for the loopback interface 127.0.0.1, I strongly believe that you do not have a valid network connection and therefore SSH will not be available."

That is exactly why I explained here my problem to not having SSH connection and no IP address.

2) I used the perfect Jessie Legacy image burned on a new SD but ...

I changed the /etc/network/interfaces.default to which /etc/network/interfaces is linked to it. I will check the rights to see if they are the same as the default installed when I burned the armbian image on the SD card.

1: Yes, that was why I mentioned SSH (eg. you can't have SSH without a working network connection)   ;)

2: Try Jessie Vanilla. I had problems with Jessie Legacy on my CubieBoard2 (could not set my root-password; it kept looping there).

If you can get Jessie Vanilla to work, then at least you have a success, which you can do some testing on (plus you have a successful install in your bag).

Hi,

I tested without HDD connected on the SATA port but I got exactly the same situation. Then not yet solved.

Whe I read now the paragraph named : "How to change network configuraiton" at this URL :

http://www.armbian.com/documentation/

I doscovered this : "HOSTAPD: your network adapters are bridged together and bridge is connected to the network. This allows you to have your AP connected directly to your router."

Perhaps does it means just need to redirect the existing symkink from interfaces.default to the interfaces.hostapd by using the recommending command lines :

cd /etc/networkln -sf interfaces.x interfaces

What do you thing about it ?

Thx.

Hi,

I tested the recommended Vanilla in place of Legacy.

First I tested with the HDD on its SATA port but welll boot to the SD card.

I heard a very little continuous relay sound. I uninstalled the HDD because I was afraid to have some problem with this HDD after that but also because the displayed text in the putty told be it was always trying to boot but never arrived at the end of the boot.

Then when booting without the HDD installed on the router the diplayed boot text looks better but always loop.

Then it gave an IP Address 192.168.1.2 and reboot (then loose the IP Address). And never arrived at a shell prompt.

As I saw a sentence telling to hint any keey to boot at the right moment I pressed a key to see what happend.

Then it gave me the same shell like in the Legacy. I mean that just gave those two characters "=>" and running help command gave me the same command list of available commands in this specific shell.

As you know usually we got a prompt shell with "$" or "#" following we are a user or an administrator. This is why I presumed I was not in an usual shell when I got =>.

Does somebody tell me how to solve this boot problem ?

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day.

Miguipda ;-)

Hi,

I progress with this problem.

What did I do since the last post ?

I just reinstalled the iso of v5.0 (Jessie 3.4.110) for my Lamobo R1 on the SD card.

I keep the HDD connected to the SATA port.

What I got :

1) it boot perfectly and allowed me to change the root password (I changed it succefully too)

2) it gave me an IP address to the laptop and I saw its IP address (one got the 192.168.1.2 and the other 192.168.1.3)

I got all of this this without connecting the Lamobo R1 to my modem/router (BBox2 - Sagem F@st 3464).

Then I shut it down and start the same situation with all connected to the internet (BBox2 -> Lamobo R1 -> Laptop).

Same situation for the IP between the Lamobo R1 and the laptop.

But even if the BBox2 has the usual 192.168.1.1 it was not able to ping to it (gave back unreachable).

And of course internet was not reachable (understandable situation).

Now I will try to follow the recommendations of Jeans Bauer (13 Mars 2016 - 01 hr 59) when he proposed to change the range of the Lamobo R1 :

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
#    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.2.1
        netmask 255.255.252.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

# Local loopback
auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

I will then come back to tell you what happend.

Thanks for your help.

Have a  nice day.

Hi,

/etc/network/interfaces.default modified like said here in the previous post.

... but ...

1) Lamobo R1 got well the IP address 192.168.2.1

2) Lamobo R1 (Jessie) did not give an automatic IP with its DHCP to my laptop.
    Then I add manually the fix IP 192.168.2.2 to the laptop and of course was able to ping the Lamobo R1

3) even if the gateway is reffered to 192.168.1.1 (BBox2) I was not able to ping it and then I can not access internet.

Then two questions now : which changes must I do to tell Lamobo R1 (Jessie) to ;

1) really have DHCP on Lamobo R1 that give an IP to my laptop ?

2) have Lamobo R1 able to communicate with the modem/router (BBox2) and then able to go to internet ?

Sincerely thanks.

Hi,

I though where it could have some problems and perhaps I found it.

Perhaps I forgot to say that my primary router (the BBox2 connected to internet and which is a modem/router) is connected to the secundary router (Lamobo R1 also called Banana Pi R1 (BPi-R1)) from LAN to WAN.

It means I had until now this configuration :

Internet -> VDSL -> BBox2 (LAN) -> (WAN) BPi-R1 (LAN) -> (LAN) Laptop

Where BBox2 had the IP 192.168.1.1 then BPi-R1 had the IP 192.168.2.1 but ...

Perhaps it comes from the fact I had two different subnet masks the default 255.255.255.0 on the BBox2 and the recommended 255.255.252.0 on the BPi-1.

Then I searched on internet and tommorow I will try this to see if it works and solve my problem :

BBox2  = 192.168.1.1 with
         subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and
         DHCP set between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.50

BPi-R1 = 192.168.2.1 with
         subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and
         DHCP set between 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.50 and
         address WAN = 192.168.1.51

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I just do this :

BBox2  = 192.168.1.1 with
         subnet mask 255.255.255.0

BPi-R1 = 192.168.2.1 with
         subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Then I boot Lamobo R1 connected with USB-TTL. I logged on as root and checked IP.

Lamobo R1 well received 192.168.2.1 but did not give an IP to my laptop.

And when I tried to ping the BBox2 (modem/router) at 192.168.1.1 it was not reachable.

I used this /etc/network/interfaces.default :

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.2.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

# Local loopback
auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Then how to solve this problem please.

Have a nice day.

Hi,

I just tried now to put the interfaces.default to 192.168.1.2 and then connect the BBox2 (modem/router) to BPi-R1 by using LAN->LAN connection.

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

# Local loopback
auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

1) the BPi-R1 router had the static IP at 192.168.1.2

2) the laptop did not received an IP Address then I manually set it to 192.168.1.3

3) from the USB-TLL terminal when I was logged in I was able to ping the BBox2 (modem/router) at 192.168.1.1 and the laptop at 192.168.1.3

4) the laptop was able to ping the BPi-R1 at 192.168.1.2 but not to ping the 192.168.1.1

5) and of course was not able to go to internet.

Please how to solve this ???

In both conditions :

a) BBox2 (LAN) -> (WAN) BPi-R1 (LAN) -> (LAN) Laptop

B) BBox2 (LAN) -> (LAN) BPi-R1 (LAN) -> (LAN) Laptop

Sincerely thanks.