[SOLVED] OrangePI Zero + USB sound card = problems!

slk5

Hello,

I'm having problems with USB sound card - speaker - card reader combo, named CD002 (hardware ID e2b0:0811).

I managed to make it work with clean Armbian 5.38 image (kernel 4.14.14) by installing pulseaudio, but it sounds like crap using both mplayer and aplay; mplayer reports "audio device stuck" sometimes.

The card is definitely OK, on RPi3 running DietPI it worked immediately and sounds fine.

How do I set it up correctly so that it sound fine on OrangePi Zero & Armbian?

35 minutes ago, slk5 said:

I managed to make it work with clean Armbian image by installing pulseaudio, but it sounds like crap using both mplayer and aplay; mplayer reports "audio device stuck" sometimes.

The most important information is missing: armbianmonitor -u .... also refference to Dietpi is useless. Which kernel, that are you using on RPi, is good with the card.

Try changing governor:

nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils

GOVERNOR=performance

service cpufrequtils restart

And also try older kernel 3.4.113 ...

11 hours ago, Igor said:

Try changing governor:

nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils 

GOVERNOR=performance

Thank you very much, now it sounds as it should! Issue is resolved. It sounds way better, but there still are some occasional sound distortions and pops.

11 hours ago, Igor said:

And also try older kernel 3.4.113 ... 

Both older Armbian version and Dietpi refused to enumerate this card at all, only Armbian on newer kernel is able to work with it.

Just now, slk5 said:

Thank you very much, now it sounds as it should!

Good!

Just now, slk5 said:

Both older Armbian version and Dietpi refused to enumerate this card at all, only newer kernel is able to work with it.

Kernel power the board(s) low-level functions. Not bash scripts (Dietpi). Its Armbian kernel in both cases.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12132260/what-is-the-difference-between-shell-kernel-and-api

I was too happy with the initial improvement, that didn't notice at first the problem is not completely resolved. Sound distrortion still appears closer to middle of playback (60-70 ses wav files), it is much less noticeable but still there. CPU usage is not high, temps are OK, it doesn't throttle.

Any other tips to resolve this?

Meanwhile, I'll try to experiment with the old kernel some more.

13 hours ago, slk5 said:

I'm having problems with USB sound card - speaker - card reader combo, named CD002 (hardware ID e2b0:0811).

I managed to make it work with clean Armbian 5.38 image (kernel 4.14.14) by installing pulseaudio, but it sounds like crap using both mplayer and aplay; mplayer reports "audio device stuck" sometimes.

How do I set it up correctly so that it sound fine on OrangePi Zero & Armbian?

Why did you install/use PulseAudio and not ALSA?
I did have no problems in the past with ALSA using /etc/asound.conf and alsamixer - also on the OPi Zero.

I used the internal audio (via the expansion-board) or a USB-Soundcard with no problems.

At this moment I didnt got a Zero with USB card here, but you should find your sound-card with the command "aplay -l" and then configure your default soundcard in the /etc/asound.conf like:

root@neo-pcm5102a:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: audiocodec [audiocodec], device 0: SUNXI-CODEC sndcodec-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: snddaudio [snddaudio], device 0: SUNXI-TDM0 snddaudio-0 []
card 2: sndhdmi [sndhdmi], device 0: SUNXI-HDMIAUDIO sndhdmi-0 []

root@neo-pcm5102a:~# more /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

for using aplay you could install the alsa-utils (alsa-base should already be installed) via "apt install alsa-utils"

root@neo-pcm5102a:~# apt-cache search alsa-utils
alsa-utils - Utilities for configuring and using ALSA

On 5/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, guidol said:

Why did you install/use PulseAudio and not ALSA?

Because it never played any sound until I installed pulseaudio.

you should find your sound-card with the command "aplay -l" and then configure your default soundcard in the /etc/asound.conf like:

I tried with older kernel. The device was recognized at first,  but didn't play any sound, even after creating correct asound.conf file. However, after I unplugged and plugged back the device, it is no longer recognized on any USB port. Also, with old kernel the CPU runs hot af - 60C+.

Below is dmesg log:

[  151.939647] ehci_irq: highspeed device connect
[  152.140254] ehci_irq: highspeed device disconnect
[  152.140290] ohci_irq: fullspeed or lowspeed device connect
[  152.480293] hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
[  448.164038] ehci_irq: highspeed device connect
[  448.370242] ehci_irq: highspeed device disconnect
[  448.370279] ohci_irq: fullspeed or lowspeed device connect
[  448.710246] hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
[  450.993245] ehci_irq: highspeed device connect
[  451.200239] ehci_irq: highspeed device disconnect
[  451.200279] ohci_irq: fullspeed or lowspeed device connect
[  451.540275] hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

you should find your sound-card with the command "aplay -l" and then configure your default soundcard in the /etc/asound.conf like:

Followed your instructions to the letter on newer kernel, finally it sounds fine! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

p.s. aplay reports 48KHz instead of 44.1Khz rate, so I use -Dplug:default flag to counter the issue.