Orange Pi Armbian Software Updates: Safe?

darethehair

I am a long-time Linux user, who casually and confidently and regularly uses the software 'Update Manager' in Linux Mint to keep my software up-to-date.  I also have no problem using 'apt update' to update specific software packages.  What I am more careful about is ever using 'apt upgrade' and 'apt dist-upgrade' -- almost never doing so.

What advise is there for updating the software on my Armbian Orange Pi PCs?

darren@frodo10:~$ sudo apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
armbian-config/stretch 5.45 all [upgradable from: 5.38]
armbian-firmware/stretch 5.45 all [upgradable from: 5.38]
tzdata/stable-updates 2018e-0+deb9u1 all [upgradable from: 2018d-0+deb9u1]

Are these the packages that will be updated when I use 'apt upgrade'?  Is this something that I should feel comfortable doing on a regular basis?

Another related question is this: my current kernel version is this:

4.14.18-sunxi

If and when newer kernels become available, will I be able to use an 'apt' command to install it?  I am assuming that I will *not* need to download an entirely new 'image' and wipe out my existing install in order to gain the new kernel, right?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, darethehair said:

Are these the packages that will be updated when I use 'apt upgrade'?

Yes. 

5 hours ago, darethehair said:

If and when newer kernels become available, will I be able to use an 'apt' command to install it? 

Of course. We also host daily made packages on beta.armbian.com repository, where you can try most recent kernels, u-boot and other packages ... but they are not tested. You can also switch between different kernels without burning a new image. Check armbian-config utility.