Banana Pi M1 support dropped?

Decker

Hi,

When I start armbian script, there is no Banana Pi M1 model anymore.

Was Banana Pi M1 merged with Banana Pi Pro model?

I could not find any note or info about this change anywhere.

Thank you!

When I start armbian script, there is no Banana Pi M1 model anymore.

Was support for Banana Pi M1 dropped or merged with some other Banana Pi board (Pro model)?

The latter. Since you're already using our build system you should also have a look in the commit logs to stay up to date :)

e5c108812409644bfcfbb668cf13e9a7576cdb68 merged the boards, the Pro being the default. And since we introduced with Orange Pi H3 support also board auto detection at 1st boot (to automagically adjust all settings) Igor already prepared that in the firstrun script (WiP). For this sort of auto detection as much as available hardware has to be enabled. Therefore the switch to Banana Pro was necessary since if WiFi is enabled by default you can detect it (use Pro settings) and otherwise use Banana Pi settings prior to the first reboot (if you start with Banana Pi settings then WiFi simply isn't visible and therefore auto detection mut fail).

But this whole auto detection is somewhat PITA so we're thinking about providing a new approach with one single image for all (sunxi) boards and a guided tour at the first start. Don't expect anything anytime soon, just to get the idea: https://github.com/ssvb/sunxi-bootsetup/releases/tag/20141215-sunxi-bootsetup-prototype

Hi tkaiser,

thank you for answer and explanation with wifi.

I have already looked at commits before I posted this question. I saw what was changed so I suspected merge, but because there is no mention that "bananapipro" option in script is (and will be) for M1, M1+ and Pro, I was afraid that development was ended for M1 board and only PRO will be supported in the future. That is why I asked.

Maybe change line 178 of configuration.sh to something like

#description (M1, M1+, Pro) A20 dual core 1Gb SoC

So no one gets confused. ;)

But this whole auto detection is somewhat PITA so we're thinking about providing a new approach with one single image for all (sunxi) boards and a guided tour at the first start. Don't expect anything anytime soon, just to get the idea: https://github.com/s...setup-prototype

Will it be possible to automate the guided tour at build time? I'm doing alot of work with scripts that call compile.sh with particular options and customize-image.sh to ensure that I have to do as little as possible when the image is first run. In a production environment ideally you want everything to have been tied down ahead of time and certainly not having to answer the same questions for each and every board. 

Not only does this introduce a time penalty, but also greater chance of one (or more) boards being mis-configured.

That's great news Igor, thank you.

I realise that my use case covers about 1% of users, so to a large extent I just have to go with the flow, but having the ability to easily script around the bits that I don't want / need is one the the things that I love about Armbian :-)

Will it be possible to automate the guided tour at build time? I'm doing alot of work with scripts that call compile.sh with particular options and customize-image.sh to ensure that I have to do as little as possible when the image is first run. In a production environment ideally you want everything to have been tied down ahead of time and certainly not having to answer the same questions for each and every board. 

Not only does this introduce a time penalty, but also greater chance of one (or more) boards being mis-configured.

You can supply build parameters via command line to compile.sh to skip dialog prompts, i.e. you can create several scripts that call compile.sh with different sets of options.

./compile.sh KERNEL_ONLY=no BOARD=cubietruck BRANCH=next PROGRESS_DISPLAY=plain USE_MAINLINE_GOOGLE_MIRROR=yes RELEASE=jessie BUILD_DESKTOP=no

something like this for me is completely non-interactive

./compile.sh KERNEL_ONLY=no BOARD=cubietruck BRANCH=next PROGRESS_DISPLAY=plain USE_MAINLINE_GOOGLE_MIRROR=yes RELEASE=jessie BUILD_DESKTOP=no

Hi Zador,

That is what I do at the moment, I have scripts for each board that call compile.sh with the appropriate options. I then use customize-image.sh later on to make further changes.

For the moment everything works perfectly for me. I was just a little concerned for the future by this:

But this whole auto detection is somewhat PITA so we're thinking about providing a new approach with one single image for all (sunxi) boards and a guided tour at the first start. Don't expect anything anytime soon, just to get the idea: https://github.com/s...setup-prototype