Cannot get stereo sound on NanoPi NEO2 v1.1 line-out pins

midix

Armbian_5.59_Nanopineo2_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.14.65.img does not see the sound codec at all.

The status matrix here: http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort#Status_Matrix  tells that Audio Codec should be supported since kernel 4.12 on H3 (H2+ is the same, as far as I know).  But Armbian does not see the audio codec nor on NanoPi Neo2 (H5), nor even on on NanoPi Duo (H2+), although all the img files I used have 4.14 in their name.

However, even with FriendlyElec's own image  nanopi-neo2_ubuntu-oled_4.14.52_20180628.img there is a different issue - the sound is mono instead of stereo!

I tried speaker-test:

speaker-test -Dsysdefault:Codec -c 2 -t wav
speaker-test 1.1.0

Playback device is sysdefault:Codec
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels

The test plays back the voice that says:
Front Right / Front Left
but the sound comes form both channels simultaneously.

Tried also other devices reported by aplay -L: hw, hwplug. The same result - the sound is monophonic.

I tested for short circuit by attaching another audio player right in parallel to my wires - the sound is stereo from the player, so there is no short circuit. Also, if I run the same test on a cheap external USB sound adapter connected to the NanoPi, it works correctly and plays stereo.

I also tried the same speaker test on a NanoPi Duo with its Mini shield and connected headphones to 3.5 jack. The same result - no stereo sound even on the official 3.5 minijack. Has FriendlyElec missed the fact that their boards do not have stereo sound? Or is everyone using external USB soundcards (which seems redundant considering the in-built audio) or I2S?

At the same time, my old CHIP with R8 (which essentially is A13) passes the same speaker-test without any issues - the sound is stereo.

I posted a question on FriendlyElec forums about the issue, but at the end, I would like to use Armbian anyway. 

So, what are my options to get stereo sound out of H5 (and H2+) in-built audio codec using Armbian?

9 hours ago, midix said:

But Armbian does not see the audio codec nor on NanoPi Neo2 (H5), nor even on on NanoPi Duo (H2+), although all the img files I used have 4.14 in their name.

This feature is not enabled by default. You need to use armbian-config -> system -> hardware settings

Regarding mono/stereo I don't know from my head. If you need some quality, an external I2S sound card is recommended.

Thank you, after configuring it works fine and in stereo! So, I guess the audio codec drivers supplied by FriendlyElec were messed up.

The sound quality is OK - good enough for listening on headphones or any non-hifi system. Will see how it works with ZynAddSubFx soon.