Hi all + newbie question : opipc + virtualenv not found

ccapublic

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum so first let me say a big THANK YOU to the armbian team for the excellent work. I've been playing around with my orange pi pc for a while now, not really wanting to spend much time on it (family, children, work, you know the story) or dig into details, and did not find any PnP distro that was 100% satisfactory (always something missing, unstable,...), until I gave a try to armbian. Apart from a weird kernel panic at the end of every shutdown, everytying is running smoothly so far.

I'm now in the process of installing OctoPrint to drive my 3D printer and I am facing a problem with python virtualenv. Basically trying to execute virtualenv on the command line gives a "command not found" error (while it worked fine with the ubuntu-vivid image on official opi site).

Steps to "reproduce"

After creating a new user and adding it to the sudoers I execute the procedure documented in octoprint below :

cd ~

sudo apt-get install python-pip python-dev python-setuptools python-virtualenv git libyaml-dev build-essential

git clone https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint.git

cd OctoPrint

virtualenv venv

It's this last command that fails with "command not found"...

Just in case it would not already be obvious, I'm an absolute newbie with Linux ;)

Thanks a lot to whoever may help !

Cyril

Thanks Igor but I did not even reach the stage of actually installing Octoprint as for some reason I can not even start virtualenv (and forum search on virtualenv did not help). I'll seek for octoprint dedicated posts when this is solved ;)

Thanks zador too. How does your command line differ from apt-get install python-virtualenv ? What is weird in my case is that virtualenv seems to be actually here (pip as well as apt-get tell me it's here if I attempt an install ago, and I have virtualenv.py/.pyc in python27 directory) but there is no "virtual shortcut" anywhere. Will try something like python path/to/virtualenv.py venv from the directory where I want the virtual environment to be installed.

Lets cross fingers ! I currently run octoprint from a windows based atom micro pc and I must say I can'twait to move to OPIPC + Armbian. Don't ask me why, I'm not even sure myself ;)

Thanks again to both of you !

Thanks zador too. How does your command line differ from apt-get install python-virtualenv ? What is weird in my case is that virtualenv seems to be actually here (pip as well as apt-get tell me it's here if I attempt an install ago, and I have virtualenv.py/.pyc in python27 directory) but there is no "virtual shortcut" anywhere. Will try something like python path/to/virtualenv.py venv from the directory where I want the virtual environment to be installed.

Because these are different packages, /usr/bin/virtualenv is provided by the virtualenv package:

➜  ~  % apt-file show virtualenv
virtualenv: /usr/bin/virtualenv
virtualenv: /usr/share/doc/virtualenv/changelog.Debian.gz
virtualenv: /usr/share/doc/virtualenv/changelog.gz
virtualenv: /usr/share/doc/virtualenv/copyright
virtualenv: /usr/share/man/man1/virtualenv.1.gz
➜  ~  %

which won't be installed with python-virtualenv (since Recommends relationship doesn't force package installation with Armbian default settings)

➜  ~  % LANG=en apt-cache depends python-virtualenv
python-virtualenv
  Depends: python
  Depends: python-pip-whl
  Depends: python-pkg-resources
  Recommends: virtualenv
➜  ~  %

Hi.

Just a quick note to thank you again. Octoprint is up and running flawlessly so far. I just need to open the adequate tcp port in firewall to have it reachable from outside of the opi itself... :)

I still don't know if there is any gui to ease firewall config or if i'll have to vi some iptables files but I'll for sure find out.

Cheers

Cyril.

Thanks guys. That's what I noticed later on... my problem was actually due to unstable wireless connection that of course did not affect http://localhost:5000. I tried a first dongle based on rtl8192cu => system freeze upon connection to my wpa2 access point, then a ralink which seemed to work fine but as mentionned seemed to lose connection from time to time (and attemptin to disconnect / reconnect always timed out). I was then in the process of trying to install rtl8192cu-fixes (maybe useless btw if armbian for opipc already implements them), when my kid unplugged the opipc while I was playing with dkms => board does not boot any more. So I'm good to restart from scratch. I hope I will get to point where wireless connection is stable as this is a must-have to replace my current wintel solution.

Hey, btw, Happy new year to you and your families guys !

Cyril