Helios64 Annoucement

gprovost

WOW it's really wonderful SBC!!!

As ZFS user, I suppose that the best testing configuration would be 5x4Tb hard disks in raidz2 pool, without de-duplication but with compression turned on, no GUI to save memory, 4Tb disks are more efficient in terms of dollar/megabyte than 2Tb models and if there would be slight performance issues one could choose to prefer 5x2Tb config or to deal with some slowiness :)

Hello gprovost,

I´m very excited about the upcoming Helios64 and I´m following it since it was announced.

I would like to know about the customs status for shipments going to EU, as well as estimated shipping time.

Another very vital point is software support, for what i can tell the RK3399 doesnt seem to run all too stable on other devices so far?

I´m running armbian for quite some years on different devices and I´m feeling with the developers who are more than patient with enduser critics and still doing that job more or less for free on a daily basis, on that matter is there some business agreement involved that pays the devs here for their work on that specific product?

Best Regards,

Vin

In general it seems that the RK3399 runs best on the legacy but still maintained 4.4.x kernel. Newers are known to be either unstable or not properly supporting certain features.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:52 PM, Vin said:

Another very vital point is software support, for what i can tell the RK3399 doesnt seem to run all too stable on other devices so far?

as mentioned by @Werner, RK3399 runs best on the legacy, 4.4 kernel. Mainline, (LK 5.4), for example, still have some issue on DP over TypeC.

We ran some burn-in test (stress-ng for cpu, parallel fio on all sata port, all usb port, emmc and microsd) under LK 4.4. we didn't encounter stability issue in 24 hours.

Similar like Helios4, Helios64 will have legacy and current support.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:29 AM, Userlab said:

i have tried similar riser from Amazon, as you can see on following pictures, the riser is too long

IMG_20200518_170801.thumb.jpg.8015598c97fb5d4abef820ea27100e76.jpg

and M.2 modem is too wide

IMG_20200518_115314.thumb.jpg.7d47d84fadd60b35c7eb1b245361e707.jpg

On 6/5/2020 at 4:52 PM, Vin said:

I would like to know about the customs status for shipments going to EU, as well as estimated shipping time.

We will post some info this week (on our blog and by newsletter) on production progress and shipping estimate.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:52 PM, Vin said:

I´m running armbian for quite some years on different devices and I´m feeling with the developers who are more than patient with enduser critics and still doing that job more or less for free on a daily basis, on that matter is there some business agreement involved that pays the devs here for their work on that specific product?

Well we have some track record of donations to Armbian, and actually we are part of the Armbian team as mvebu family maintainer until now, and you can expect us to be very active on the rockchip64/rk3399 family. So even though it's never enough, I think we are doing our share of contribution back ;-)