Is there any way to test custom built images without burning sdcard?

bozden
Go to solution Solved by bozden,

(Please feel free to move the post if it is not appropriate here.)

I'm trying the build environment on VirtualBox and modifying settings and adding new scripting. I have had a habit of testing each modification right away, but the compile/burn/on-device-test is not logical.

How can I emulate a device / setup / install process? Is there any way?

If you will be able to run your app on Debian / Ubuntu it will also run on Armbian. VirtualBox / KVM with standard install should do.

If you are talking about testing hardware features, then, we do it this way:

https://github.com/armbian/autotests

Also we are developing a hardware to make a complete test automatically:

First version of the board:
P1170874.JPG

Thank you Igor, I already had examined them briefly. Very nice work indeed... But not applicable for my case (I think)... I'm not bulk-producing...

What I'm trying to do (for now) is simply adding some drivers, adding some scripting to customize-image.sh, such as additions to motd, several users/groups/rights management, pre-installing some additional software through apt-get, adding some custom scripts under /usr/local/bin etc.

Testing this would require installation of the customized Armbian and checking the logs etc.

Is there a working armhf emulator for x32-64? That would ease the burden alot... I found QEMU just now, did you try it?

My development environment is on Win 10 and I don't mind speed loss caused by emulation.

Or I'm really missing the point :/

23 minutes ago, bozden said:

Is there a working armhf emulator for x32-64? That would ease the burden alot... I found QEMU just now, did you try it?

Yes its is. But. The only image that I manage to boot - didn't really put much efforts to see if any else - was Cubieboard 1.  But that was long time ago ...

Yes, they only have cubieboard and Rpi 2 included in base.  I wonder if people have created others.

I can guess that it will fail at kernel level if a board is not modeled.

I'll stick with writing better code and testing all in one for now...

• Solution

For anybody reading this: Most of the debugging for your setup routines can be done just by looking inside generated image file.

Of course I have to burn the sd-card and run on actual device at the end...

Important Information

Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Guidelines