Armbian image and build support for RISC-V.

balbes150

I tried the below, but it didn't work.

However I found a workaround! Boot without HDMI connected, and after booting connect HDMI: low resolution, but everything is in the screen!

sander@nezha:~$ sudo find / | grep edid | grep 1920
/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x1080.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x1200_30hz.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x1080_50hz.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x1080_24hz.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x800.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x1200_60hz.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x1080_23_976hz.bin

So I added

drm.edid_firmware=/usr/lib/firmware/edid/1920x1080.bin

to /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and reboot. But no solution

Version 20221201 for Allwinner D1.

The 6.1.0-rc3  kernel is used. It is important that it is possible to use DTB separately in the kernel regardless of u-boot.

Can manually configure which DTB to use, this is useful for using different hardware on different devices.

There is no Debian version yet, because the system has been switched to EFI, while there is no full EFI support in Debian.

16 минут назад, gounthar сказал:

I hope to be able to test it by Sunday on my MQ-Pro.

I have already checked on MangoQ Pro, it works.

by the way, when testing on different D1 devices, I noticed that USB is always detected and works.

Thanks a lot @balbes150for this new build! I got a Mango Pi MQ and one of the previous builds with xfce works extremely well, I am impressed both at the responsiveness of the (modest) hardware, and at your work to build a very decent desktop image!

I came back to this thread to look for a headless image, as this how I plan to use this board, and you just uploaded a new one today, which is great.

I downloaded this one: Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Nezha_jammy_current_6.1.0.img.xz (version 20221201) but I have a question, I looked through the whole thread, what is the login/password 😄

The previous version I tried had a setup that let me setup the username and password, but this version doesn't offer it.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

8 часов назад, julien сказал:

The previous version I tried had a setup that let me setup the username and password, but this version doesn't offer it.

At the first start of the system, the primary setup wizard should start, where you set the password for ROOT, the user name and password. There should be an invitation on the screen or in the UART console to change the password and other steps. How are you connected to the device ? By default, the password 1234 for ROOT is set at the first start.

I was able to run Debian in EFI mode (to Allwinner D1, can do the same on StarFive) . I built a Debian image for the EFI variant (I uploaded the images to the site), but without grub-efi packages and got the exact same structure as in Ubuntu-efi when writing to the SD card. I copied the binaries manually (all dir EFI)  from Ubuntu SD card to the EFI partition and the /boot/grub directory to the /boot directory Debian. Edited the UUID (see extlinux.conf) in grub.cfg. After that, the system started up perfectly and works.

I haven't managed yet to boot my MQ-Pro wih Armbian, but will retry later on.
I want to experiment with Docker, but it will take ages on the machine itself (lots of packages/tools to compile).
Do you think I could use your repo as a base to work on so that the docker binary is built on the machine that builds the image, and not on the target machine once Armbian is installed?
Thanks.

Edited by gounthar

45 минут назад, gounthar сказал:

haven't managed yet to boot my MQ-Pro wih Armbian

Describe in detail what the problem is, what steps did you take? My system runs fine and runs on mangoPIMqpro.

47 минут назад, gounthar сказал:

Do you think I could use your repo as a base to work on so that the docker binary is built on the machine that builds the image, and not on the target machine once Armbian is installed?

All images from this theme are collected on a PC in cross-compilation mode. I also checked the full image build on StarFive1 (i.e. directly on the RISC-V device), it works the same, but so far I don't have a fast enough RISC-V device to switch to a fully native build. I know that there are some Discord-Risc-v participants who build on ARM devices (including in cluster mode on multiple devices at the same time). You can clarify all the details in the corresponding Disord topic.

Thanks.
I have downloaded and burned with Etcher 

Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Nezha_sid_current_6.1.0.img

I haven't yet put any UART2USB on that board, but nothing outputs on the mini-HDMI. I can see a login prompt when using Ubuntu.
I have added a cheapo (no name with the "Lemorele" name) USB-C Hub (that worked with Ubuntu) so that I get Ethernet, and my router has not seen anything new on the network.
I have also tried the WaveShare hat (based on Realtek RTL8152B) that gave the same result.

53 минуты назад, gounthar сказал:
sid_current_6.1.0

You inattentively read the info earlier. :)

I specifically wrote that Debian (sid) requires ADDITIONAL manual work to run (copying additional files, editing the configuration file, etc.). Use Ubuntu versions, there is nothing you need to change after writing the image, it connects and will work.

Fantastic, the board is now running Armbian. 🤩
I don't know where/when I failed, but I now have to find how to properly remove the desktop packages, as this will only be used through SSH with the command line.
I'm impressed by the 2160p30 resolution for such a small/inexpensive board.

result.png

14 часов назад, gounthar сказал:

Fantastic, the board is now running Armbian. 🤩
I don't know where/when I failed, but I now have to find how to properly remove the desktop packages, as this will only be used through SSH with the command line.
I'm impressed by the 2160p30 resolution for such a small/inexpensive board.

use an image without XFCE in the name .

Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Nezha_jammy_current_6.1.0.img

Of course, I don't know how I managed not to see that... 🙄
Anyway, it's working after disabling the desktop in armbian-config and removing a few packages.
Will the kernel be updated automagically, or should I burn a new image from time to time to get an up to date one?
Thanks.

6 минут назад, gounthar сказал:

Will the kernel be updated automagically, or should I burn a new image from time to time to get an up to date one?

To automatically update the kernel, you need to have a network repository, I don't have such an opportunity yet. I've heard that someone is working on creating such a repository for this build system. If it is, then the kernel will be updated automatically. In principle, I can add kernel packages to the image directory for manual updates (in case there is a significant kernel change).

36 минут назад, gounthar сказал:

As docker is not yet available for this architecture, I was wondering if I could setup something that would build it regularly and then make it available for armbian. I guess that's the same thing as for the kernel, I would need a network repository.

I can add PR to the official Armbian build system for RISC-V (then the kernel will have an automatic update), but I'm not sure it will be accepted.

Thanks again @balbes150for all the help and the great work!

I managed to boot and to configure everything properly on my Mango Pi MQ with the headless image you built on 1st of December.

However after a while (a few minutes only), if I'm not active on the command line, the wifi goes on sleep and it's impossible to wake it back up, only a reboot can fix it. It seems like a driver issue?

Am I the only one who experiences it? Do you have a workaround? Thanks!