Armbian image and build support for RISC-V.

balbes150

Hi, I have downloaded a couple copies of the nezha jammy image and attempted to boot it on a Mango Pi v1.4 risc-v ("MQ Pro") . All the jammy-current images burn to SD card no problem and boot. However I am having trouble with the text size. The text size is oversized on my dell 2560x1440 display, cannot display the entire nmtui (wifi config) GUI. By chance, one of the images booted with correct aspect ratio and resolution, but I have not had success since (reflashed the sd card). I downloaded the official ubuntu image and it had the correct resolution/aspect ratio. I am not sure what the difference was or which version had it, but looking to find correct resolution image for Mango Pi 1.4 again.

16 minutes ago, Hadlock said:

I downloaded the official ubuntu image and it had the correct resolution/aspect ratio.

Kernel is what defines interaction with the hardware. Which kernel is there. "ubuntu" plays zero role.
https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/#why-does-hardware-feature-xy-work-in-old-kernel-but-not-in-more-recent-one

2 часа назад, Hadlock сказал:

I downloaded the official ubuntu image and it had the correct resolution/aspect ratio

It uses a BSP kernel, with a built-in video driver, the source code is closed and it is not in the main kernel (which is used in my builds). Try to add a forced video output setting via command line parameters (add the desired values to extlinbux.conf).

1 час назад, yuzhaogoogle сказал:

The stock image of VisionFive has a working Firefox.

If this package is not in the network repositories, then it was assembled manually for stock firmware and you will not be able to use it for a simple installation. You can try to migrate the binaries, but I do not know if they will work or not.

25 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

If this package is not in the network repositories, then it was assembled manually for stock firmware and you will not be able to use it for a simple installation. You can try to migrate the binaries, but I do not know if they will work or not.

So I guess you didn't find the package either? Just checking in case somebody has successfully built Firefox and uploaded the package somewhere.

Hi all

I'm experimenting with 512 MB Lichee RV.

What I observe - the board itself is very unstable, but I can't understand if it is software or hardware problem with my item. If this is not related to this thread just let me know.

Two major problems observed:

1. Incorrect work of CPU temperature monitoring - in 2/3 of boot attempts it locks boot process with temperature alert (starting from 45 C and rising up to 100 C and higher). CPU at the same time might be rather hot, but not too much. I added a fan to cool and chip external temperature is not more than warm now, but issue remains.

2. USB issues - in 4/5 of boot attempts it fails to start usb correctly, and re-attach do not help. So keyboard/mouse/hub almost useless.

I tried this on different images including the last one Jammy from August - situation is almost same. 

If someone else observes smth similar? 

@Elrie FWIW:

I felt the D1 on my Lichee RV, and it's warm (not hot, not cool).

superkoning@nezha:~$ cat /etc/armbianmonitor/datasources/soctemp

So I guess that is "milli" degrees celsius

About your setup: without any device connected (no USB, no HDMI), and cooled off, if you boot it, is it hot & locked before it finishes booting?

@Elrie Try taking the board out of the Dock and putting it back in. Also check the USB power supply line. Set the base image for verification (20211230_LicheeRV_debian_d1_hdmi_8723ds.7z). If the problem has not been resolved, then carefully visually check the surface of the board for defects, sometimes this helps to understand the cause of the problem.

On my Sipeed Lichee RV:

I had Debian running for a few weeks, but wanted Ubuntu.

I downloaded Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Nezha_jammy_current_5.19.0.img.xz, burned it to a SD card, booted it:

First few boots: USB keyboard not working. Also not after plugging in-and-out

And then, on boot #4 and higher: boot says

thermal thermal_zone0: cpu-htermal: critical temperature reached down

reboot: HARDWARE PROTECTION shutdown (Temperature too high)

Indeed the D1 is quite warm

After disconnecting all cables (HDMI, power, USB), and let the SBC cool off for an hour: the same message on the next boot.

I'm now back on the debian version, and all is well.

So ... could there be something wrong with Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Nezha_jammy_current_5.19.0.img.xz

FWIW: about two months ago, I had an earlier version of Ubuntu on my SBC, working great.

13 часов назад, Superkoning сказал:

First few boots: USB keyboard not working. Also not after plugging in-and-out

The latest Ubuntu images use the new kernel, Debian uses the old kernel. The kernel development process is ambiguous and may have different side effects. Try previous versions of Ubuntu.

17 часов назад, Superkoning сказал:

After disconnecting all cables (HDMI, power, USB), and let the SBC cool off for an hour: the same message on the next boot.

Sometimes I have the same problem with Lichee RV Dock (with 20220819 Jammy XFCE image) even on first boot after a long period of power outage (12+ hours). It's "cured" by several SBC reboots. It seems that temperature sensor works incorrect:

nezha:/:# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

USB works fine (but some USB warning i can see at dmesg).

@balbes150

It indeed works with an Ubuntu image from 2022-07 (july): download&write&boot ... perfect.Thanks!

FWIW: Linux version 5.19.0-rc1-d1

EDIT

Oh, with "sudo apt update" I get

N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-riscv64/Packages' as repository 'http://deb.volian.org/volian scar InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'riscv64'

volian.org? I disabled that in the repo

Edited by Superkoning

Looks like last reporters have the same issue what I have.

Temperature sensor reports following if I'm able to boot:

root@nezha:~# cat /etc/armbianmonitor/datasources/soctemp

Exactly same messages in case of boot issue as mentioned above - about temperature protection.

More chances to load fine with external cooling.

USB works 50/50.

In dmesg the issue looks like this:

[  719.608041] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[  719.748025] usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[  719.996036] usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71

I removed module from the dock and checked what I can with magnifying glass as it was suggested above by @antondeveloper - no any visible damage on any circuit.

But after all these last experiments looks like original Debian image also boots 50/50. Changed different SD cards also

Will try to solder serial pins and change SD card once again.

Edited by Elrie

First of all I want to thank Armbian and balbes150 for producing a working image for D1! I still remember the old days of fiddling with ancient BSP kernels for Allwinner-based boards when they first showed up years ago. Today I'm able to boot into mainline on a fresh board with a fresh ISA. Great work, really appreciated and hopefully this will speed up RISC-V adoption across the industry!

I installed the image 5.19.0-rc1-d1  on my MQ-Pro and it worked like a charm. Eventually "upgraded" it to sid by swapping out repos but the kernel is still the same custom build. Debian now has linux-image-5.19.0-1-riscv64 in its repos - any idea if it would even boot on D1 or I better stick with the custom one? If so - where can I get a more recent build as there's an announcement of a 5.19.0 build in this thread.

8 минут назад, Superkoning сказал:

So that is VisionFive? 

StarFive (v1)

8 минут назад, Superkoning сказал:

If VisionFive 2 ... do you own (or: have access to) one already?

No, I don't have V2 (VisionFive2\Star Five 2), so I don't plan any work on adding support for V2.

I have a problem with my HP monitor connected via HDMI to my Sipeed Lichee Rv Dock Allwinner D1:

When HDMI is connected to my Lichee at boot, the screen is in perfect resolution: 1920x1080 60 Hz, small letters, everything visible.

However, but after boot, when I reconnect my monitor again to the Lichee, I only see a part of the output: the lower lines are not in the screen, the characters are bigger.

When I then go into the HP settings (via the buttons on the underside of the screen), the HP monitor popup menu says:

Current Mode: 1024x768 60Hz

Optimal Mode: 1920x1080 60 Hz

I tried, but in the HP monitor menu I cannot see a way to change that. I tried different options, but no result.

I read https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Allwinner/#how-to-reconfigure-video-output and tried "setenv video-mode sunxi:1024x768-24@60,monitor=dvi,hpd=0,edid=0", but get "-bash: setenv: command not found". I installed gnulib, but no change. Weird.

So tips how to solve this?

19 минут назад, Superkoning сказал:

However, but after boot, when I reconnect my monitor again to the Lichee, I only see a part of the output: the lower lines are not in the screen, the characters are bigger.

If you turn off HDMI, the system resets the settings that were agreed upon when you turned it on. you can try specifying fixed settings in the startup command line or try switching via xrandr (search the Internet for how this is done).

21 минуту назад, Superkoning сказал:

I read https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Allwinner/#how-to-reconfigure-video-output and tried "setenv video-mode sunxi:1024x768-24@60,monitor=dvi,hpd=0,edid=0", but get "-bash: setenv: command not found". I installed gnulib, but no change. Weird.

This advice applies to working with u-boot and it needs to be done in u-boot (via the UART console).

9 минут назад, Superkoning сказал:

Which "startup command line" is that?

extlinux.conf -> "append ......   drm.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin"

This is just an example, not a ready-made solution.

drm.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin